My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, December 11, 2015

That Flat I Was Offered...

I'll stay put if I am able. I've always thought that though the properties aren't bad to be honest and I was once in one perhaps 45 years ago because I knew someone. They have all been refurbished(I have not been too keen on who seems to live there)and when talking about them tonight with people I know they all said "No, don't do it if you don't have to" So I don't now know if the suggestion was genuine from the Housing Association or they are still trying in a roundabout way to get me out.

But for now I'll stay as long as I may.

The present Government keep piling on more stress...this story broke in the media earlier on Thursday. Many who live in the UK know, privately owned property is often more expensive to rent and you have less rights. Many tenants are afraid to report things that are wrong with property as some Landlords would rather get rid of them and get someone else in.

Now when people find their circumstances change and they live in what is know as social housing(perhaps someone dies)or a child goes to university but plans to return(after studying or in the holidays)if a room is seeming being unused the government brought in something called the Bedroom Tax and you pay for bedrooms not in use(they see them as spare bedrooms)because no one is sleeping there.

Some people need the extra room for medical equipment or when someone stays over occasionally to care for them or they want a spare room for a guest or a visiting grandchild/relative. But you are expected to pay. Some rooms classed as a bedroom are often more like a box room. Still expected to pay. Sometimes a person cannot sleep with their partner for some reason but as you are a partner or married you still pay for that room.

Some Housing Associations and councils have helped tenants by knocking two bedrooms into one and taking away the dividing wall but not all authorities/associations are that helpful. I haven't heard of it happening in my area.

Also there are many towns that don't have smaller properties that you can move into. Or they are out of the way. That flat I was told about I'd still pay for a spare room. Also you pay more for the first room than the second room if you have more than one spare room(in their defintion)

Now the government is trying to introduce 5 year limits on new tennacies. They probably will succeed because they have a majority in Parliament.  If they force people into the private sector as you saw by the first paragraph of my post...the rent will increase and rights decrease.  One reason they could attempt to move you on is if you manage to increase your income.

So why would you want to improve your situation if it means moving and paying more. Paying more rent could mean you are back to square one financially so you may as well stayed where you were. What do they call being better off? Who makes that decision?

Some have said if you think or know you'll be moved you won't invest in your home because you'll be constantly moving around so why would you keep spending money on furnishings/decorating and the garden. If you put down roots you'll bother more if you have security.

Many are against the idea but if you have the power to get policies through and can't be beaten you are stuck with it.

This is again another idea that seems to affect only England but not the other countries that make up the UK as in Scotland and Wales(I don't know the situation in N Ireland)

There are many policies that seem to affect England and often in a bad way compared to our neighbours. Often we look at them with envy.

I just have to hope I can weather the storm ahead for approx the next 4 years. For the reasons in the last blog post and take each day as it comes.

The alternative party wanted to get rid of the Bedroom Tax and I assume/hope that they feel the same on this but we don't know and it depends if they are voted into power. By then I won't affected by the bedroom Tax but I'll have paid it for 6 years and if I manage to stay after 2020 I'll be a pensioner four years later.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in a similar situation to you once (though my property was one-bedroom and it was before the Tax) - I was offered another flat, but my instincts told me to stay put in the flat where I was (because better the devil you know in the way of neighbours) and hold on for a one-bedroom bungalow - everyone said that I was too young, but as I am a wheelchair-user, I questioned that they could only be for elderly, why not for someone in their 40s who needed accessible housing, and eventually I got one. No way was I going into a flat and be reliant on a lift which could break down, or I could be trapped in a fire etc...

So follow those instincts of yours, and if you are happy staying put, then stay put. But aim now to bring your garden and home round now to low-maintanance, so you can stay there in the future. As long as your garden is neat, you pay the tax etc, they can't make you move. But keep on top of that garden and keep it well maintained, because otherwise they could look at it and think you're not coping where you are. You don't want to give them ANY excuses to try and move you.

A-L

11 December 2015 at 10:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your second bedroom is under a certain size they cannot charge you bedroom tax. xx

12 December 2015 at 12:02  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I bet what I call a box room is still just slightly too big to beat the tax. I nearly said I don't believe my house was ever measured and not by the H Association but I have a feeling that it was a while back.

Maybe not for the Bedroom Tax but for another reason. They'll be doing another visit probably early next year, perhaps I'll mention it.

12 December 2015 at 23:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


It's not actually a tax is it? Those who live in these places have never heard of tax because they don't pay any. What it is your housing benefit is reduced in order to encourage those with spare bedrooms to free them up.If you don't receive housing benefit then it does not affect you..so it's not a tax.
It makes perfect sense when the ever increasing population needs more family size properties,many of these eastern European immigrants have families but are also working for a living so it makes sense they should have a decent sized property to go home to eh?

Sid

17 December 2015 at 12:03  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hi Sid, I don't necessarily agree and TBH anecdotally around here no one thinks its fair but at least I published your comment. As I said, in reality because of when my home was built it is more like a two bedroom property. Politically not enough affordable homes are being built(with rent caps)and probably too many are private and/or to let properties. And as for a housing shortage everywhere I look houses are going up on any piece of spare land. But these are houses for buying. Appreciate you leaving a comment.

17 December 2015 at 22:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home