My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, December 07, 2015

Horrible Weekend For Many...

thanks to a very strong storm over the UK and many areas are flooded and the consequences will continue for months and years no doubt. On both a personal and national level. I'm surprised that no one has tried to tie the event in with Climate change and the conference that has been taking place in Paris.

I won't say that "Man" has not affected the climate but equally I hate to say it that nature and events out there in space will play their part/have played their part. One day nothing the Human Race does will stop the Earth from being destroyed in some way. The Human Race and/or animals/vegetation may or may nor survive in some way or not until the end or be long gone before the Earth is totally nothing more than a rock floating in space. Or obliterated.

I slept most of Sunday away and did not go out, other than for my usual bingo and turn.

I did went out on what was the worst day of weather(Saturday)and remarkably the bus service was able to keep going with what was thrown at it.

Any delay was minuscule and I'd say time was made up without risking the safety of passengers. Yet for the first time in decades a bus inspector boarded a bus I was on and had the driver sign his report which included that he was late which is unfair with road conditions, strong winds and rain. Many areas were flooded too.

This particular bus was probably no more than 3 minutes late and within minutes was back on time. I thought the inspector was more than harsh. Being near the driver I heard what was said. I also gave him some change when I reached Durham as he was very short. Everyone seemed to be giving paper money and wanting day/weekly tickets.

I cannot believe how much distance and where I reached was covered by me. Approx 77 miles. I reckon taking out the waiting for connections, travel time was around 4 hours.

I stopped or passed through Sedgefield, Stockton, Middlesbrough, Spennymoor and Durham.

Bring unsteady on my feet I was occasionally at risk of being blown off my feet or slipping especially in Durham and when I did get home I discovered how badly affected the city was by exceptional issues. Generally I was close to it all but somewhat unaware. Again, someone kindly offered to help me down an incline, I thanked them for their kindness and took the walk very, very slowly.

The main problem was flooding due to river levels being higher than for some time. It was too dark for me to see and without fear of my own safety. But areas I know well were off limits for many, water was high up the bridges and some areas where there is a walkway near the river Wear in front of some shops and restaurants.

I was unable to get the bus to the cathedral and to catch a shuttle bus I did not know was running, So I did feel let down but I now totally understand why. They were not at the place where the bus usual starts its journey and you only found out that they existed once you had got part of the way to the Cathedral ans it doubled back on itself and used a complicated route of winding roads so I was too late to attend a carol service. There was no information at the bus stop where the journey starts and no bus employee to explain.

I thought that I would go today(Sunday)But I decided staying indoors in my cosy bed was a better option.

I was going to look at the situation with the floods in daylight. Locally the winds have disappeared and it has stopped raining. But many areas are really devastated. The cathedral managed with great difficulty to keep some of its events going...services and  the special children's service about St. Nicholas(I have a feeling but could be wrong)that it was shorter this year(perhaps because of the weather?)

There was a local food market in the cloisters and as its open the wind was blowing through and as one of the exits was directly into the cathedral it was blowing away just about anything not fastened down and to be honest out of respect I did not wear my hat but I was frozen. That was when wearing a heavy coat, scarf. thermals and gloves. Thankfully that door was closed when the service began. But many of us had sat shivering for around an hour.

I found the visit to Middlesbrough easier than when I went with the group a few weeks ago. All the shops I needed to visit turned out to be virtually next to each other. I was there buying two Christmas gifts, Christmas Cards and I needed some new trainers. As usual I have worn out the right shoe as I always seem to.

On the way home from Durham in the evening I interrupted the journey and popped into a supermarket in a neighbouring town and I now have some salad and casserole vegetables for more stews and the like to cook in the slow cooker.

I am looking at some new serving dishes on sale at a discount supermarket this Thursday and wondering as I have a habit of returning to meals they have a kind of buffet server. But that may be a waste of money. I'll think about that. Another idea is the pot that you have in a slow cooker but this one has a divider so you can keep food separated or cook two different meals at once.

I have a pork mince and vegetable stew that just requires warming and this time I think I may put some mash potato on top. I also have chicken, fish and salad for the coming days too. And I am looking to create space for Christmas food in the fridge freezer. So I won't be buying much for the coming fortnight.

I also have my fruit and porridge for breakfast. I don't need over purchase at Christmas because most food shops are open again within a couple of days. As long as I have bread/milk I can get by.

I may be attending some carol and services in the next couple of weeks, more details will follow.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you not see any of the warnings of the storm coming on Saturday?
I think you were very unwise to go out on what was not an essential journey.
To travel 77 miles in such bad weather, and you admit to being unsteady on your feet, was foolish.
Sorry, but you've said before that you have plenty of food in, so there was no reason to be out.

7 December 2015 at 13:32  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

The day went well and it was better day for me mobility wise...I only had problems roughly between 5pm and 6pm(ish)in Durham coming back towards the bus station.I went nowhere on Sunday/today(except the bingo)

I actually enjoyed today too. Until I got home...neighbour trouble again. I'll have to sort that out tomorrow. Wasn't expecting that. Or perhaps I was, it was all going too well.

Its meant that I have not had the restful night I had planned and my meal.

7 December 2015 at 21:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In that case I'm glad you feel the day went well. I was only going on what you had written - "strong winds and rain. Many areas were flooded too." and "Being unsteady on my feet I was occasionally at risk of being blown off my feet or slipping".

What if you had been blown off your feet and injured? Would the trip out have been worth it?

7 December 2015 at 21:43  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

That's a fair point. It was horrible for many...still is. For many this event will be still felt for months. If the situation had been bad before I got to Durham I would not have gone or turned around and come back home. But the only risk was from the Cathedral to the bus station and that improved as I reached ground level.

I did not even know of the river bursting its banks until I was back here. Another market in a big marquee on cathedral green had been closed unknown to any of us. I don't know if it was reopened on Sunday.

In a way when in the cathedral I don't think people knew what was happening outside.

7 December 2015 at 22:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home