My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, December 14, 2015

Last Saturday It Was Windy And By The End Of It...

The weather had caused much flooding around the UK. Misery, upset and the ruining of much property and loss of livestock for farmers. Also happening at the time it did, it coincided with a big event taking place with approx 190 countries discussing Climate Change in France.

As the two weeks of that world event came to an end this Saturday(yesterday)many areas of the UK had...snow. I guess the fear is that as it thaws it will add to the areas that are flooded woes.

I woke around 6am and though I'd slept well, I felt a bit low. I thought lets get out and do something but at that hour I went back to bed.

Next thing I knew it was almost lunchtime. I looked out of the window and snow was really falling but also being blown about.

I felt happier and thought, I'm not going out in that. If it improved possibly I would go and buy some milk.

Hours later I put that idea on hold. To be honest, I decided I would go today. Approx two hours ago I had managed to make the little milk I had last until then and again stayed indoors. I only went out Sunday evening to the Bingo. No more snow has fallen since Saturday. It looks as though it is thawing but that also means its wet and overnight it will no doubt freeze. In fact there is a freezing fog out there.

Not many miles away some towns are clear and roads are fine, others look as though they have hardly been touched by gritting lorries or crews making roads/paths safe for many. Some I understand why(and though this not a rural area)and there are major towns here, there are a lot of country areas.

And with the Government taking away a lot of money from councils, they are cutting back on many of their services.

Some people found they had to take alternative routes to get places, some simply could not get where they wanted to. Some had to abandon their cars and walk back to their homes. Some taxis called off their services and the same was true of buses.

On Friday night it was a Christmas Party of a little bingo club I go to so we were lucky the snow held off as some people would not have been able or wanted to be there. And the entertainer came from an area that approx twelve hours later was cut off.

Today, I am throwing rubbish out and having a tidy up. Getting change at the bank for a friend so she can run her clubs between now and the New Year in case the weather is bad and banks are often closed. I'll get some for myself. A little shop(including the milk)A game of Bingo in the afternoon.

This week the town band I follow are holding two Christmas Carol Services locally at churches. I saw one in 2013. I missed it in 2014(I forgot)This year one clashes with my music club's Christmas party on Tuesday. Luckily, the other one is tonight. So if buses are running(though they only run hourly)I should be able to get home, directly or via a different route. Depending when the concert ends, if I time it right I won't have to stand around. It may even be worth catching the bus that takes me home as it travels to Durham and comes back this way just so I am in the warmth.

As it starts at 7pm(even if they perform for 50 mins each half and take a twenty minute interval)I could be out between 9pm-9.15pm and the bus back here is approx 9.30pm and the church is near the bus stop. If I go to Durham from Ferryhill I can catch a bus every 15mins.

I can also go to Bishop Auckland every 15mins but again have to connect with a bus that comes back to my town once an hour. Or go to Darlington and come back to my town via a bus service that runs every half hour. So I do have a few options. Not many direct services though. They don't make it easy.

I think the service is free but if not it won't be very expensive. There will probably be a raffle too. It will be my first and perhaps only carol service. If I want to go to a Christmas service I have a church a few streets away but it mans being out very late and either walking around Midnight unless I can secure a taxi(probably on a higher rate)or the kindness of someone who may bring me home(that doesn't happen very often.

And the service on Christmas morning is held at a church on the town that is too far away when mobility is an issue. Again a taxi both ways is silly and costly. I don't know if there are any. Naturally there are no buses. If I could walk easily it could be done but I would have to allow at least 30 minutes(probably more)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home