My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, November 27, 2015

That Friday Feeling...

Not happy with the budget that was announced on Wednesday. All lies and "Smoke and Mirrors" was it always thus. I dare not look too far ahead. Much lies and spin and that comes from the media as much as anyone.

But as it takes time to filter into our lives at this time nothing seems to have changed. So I feel quite positive.

You saw what happened on my shopping trip on Wednesday. What I did not add is that people seem to come to me and tell their troubles and seem to feel better afterwards...and it only enforces what I know already...that few are living the "Perfect" life.

A lovely lady started talking and was waiting to meet her daughter off a bus...turns out the daughter and her partner/husband are having difficulty finding work and what little they have is poorly paid. They are having problems with all the new rules our government has regarding help(now called welfare once called social security)and no neither Mum or daughter looked or sounded like the kind of people featured in those horrible programmes that air on British TV and cause many to believe that all who need help are wasters and are all living on massive handouts.

The Mum looked well dressed and probably reasonably OK financially but she too has to watch what is spent, she wears extra clothes in the house to stay warm(even fingerless gloves when on the computer)and her husband has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. So now someone has to be there for him when she needs to go out. They can no longer use the car(that has been sold)and where they go does depend very much on bus services.

Another person opened up to me last evening(not known for doing so)if anything this person comes across as strident and quite strong. Not really compassionate to those who struggle. However, her work time has been cut, some help she was getting has been cut(the department who deals with such matters)says they were overpaid so whilst paying it back that means income is even lower. Her husband cannot work due to health issues but his help has been withdrawn too.

Earlier in the week another person was telling me how they had invited an ill friend around for a meal and sent him home with various goods to see him through the following week...his money has been reduced to something like £49 per week.

No wonder so many people are stressed out. These are not as I say the kind that you see on TV. "There but for the grace of God go I" That could be me. And who knows where I will find myself.

If I tried to explain in greater detail to anyone reading from outside the UK what was announced in the budget I would be here forever, it would become complicated and if you were reading this months and years ahead it would not mean much. There are dedicated blogs that do nothing but political stories daily and many are very good too. Often better than what is broadcast on TV and radio or in newspapers.

Anecdotal perhaps but I find talking with people is the best way to appreciate what life is really like. An awful amount of TV(and I can understand why)is escapism from the humdrum lives many live. And many don't want to watch others living the lives that they are. They want to have something to aspire to, the hope things will improve.

TV unless you are watching documentaries presents generally a world where most people are dressed well, look fantastic, eat the best food, drive beautiful cars, their homes are equally desirable. Generally, its a make believe world.

For all that I have written I really am OK. Honestly. I don't know where all that came from it wasn't planned.

Yesterday, around 2.15pm I decided to take off to Durham and pay my insurance. I missed the bus by seconds and thought should I give up I can go tomorrow. But when you have made your mind up to do something you have that mindset so the next bus arrived...late. It was already 3.10pm and for various reasons it was held up and I kept thinking I can't make it. Luckily the office is next to the bus station. The buses usually drop off passengers at the bus station entrance(even better for me)mine took me right into the station to its official bay and typically other buses kept holding mine up.

So I had to walk the full length of the station and a slight incline to reach the office, I got in with three minutes to spare(it closes at 4pm)

It won't mean much to anyone else...I came out and hopped on a bus to Bishop Auckland but thought whilst I am on lets do a small shop(get some salads in)but these buses come into Bishop Auckland away from the supermarket I wanted to visit. So I hopped off en route at Spennymoor where another branch of the same retailer exists.  It is quite near the bus stop. I popped in, got what I wanted rushed back to the stop as quickly as I am able)the bus was 5 minutes late so I caught an earlier one to what I thought that I would. That took me to Bishop Auckland and the bus station there.

I had to wait twenty minutes and caught the bus back to here and that bus gets me almost to where my Thursday night bingo takes place. I alighted at 6.40pm and got there around 6.50pm with ten minutes to spare. So I managed all the bus rides and shopping in the space of  150 mins. I really was pushing my luck.

I won a house so I was not out of pocket. I did not make a loss nor did I profit. And it fills a couple of hours.

Today is Black Friday(anyone know what that is?)Basically it came from a America internet and retailers supposedly offer discounts on various items that are said to be out of this world and last year it got out of hand with people fighting over goods. This year we were told it would be handled better. I don't know as I have avoided doing any shopping myself. I have not heard any reports of how its gone,

Sometimes they only have a few items at special prices and when they are gone, they're gone. Some items no one really wants but because the price has been reduced they'll buy it anyway, And some retailers have decided to extend the idea so it lasts over the weekend or will run for a week,

But there will be other sales after Christmas anyhow.

I have nothing planned over the weekend so I don't know that I will be going anywhere possibly I may go to the memorial service at my local church on Sunday to remember Mum and Dad. I haven't decided yet.  You sing a couple of hymns and hang a kind of message on a Christmas Tree. Perhaps I'll decorate my tree and start playing Christmas music at last. I think I shall clear out the fridge freezer and try and create some space for some special food usually only available at Christmas and should I still be eating it in 2016 so be it. "Enjoy Yourself its later than you think!" "For tonight we'll merry merry be, tomorrow, we'll be sober"

Update:Two big retailers still had loads of stock for sale at 7pm on my town and it was selling steadily but not at a massive pace. Perhaps it did first thing this morning(I was cosy in bed at 5am)I did not buy myself. The media says it was a massive success.

I'm cooking salmon and thinking of having a salad and miniature potatoes with it. In the meantime I am thinking of diving under the duvet.

I haven't decided about tomorrow...I may stay home. The weather was wet when I was out earlier. I still have no idea how I managed to make two hours pass by doing virtually nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home