My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, June 12, 2015

The Garden May Be Left Until Monday...

The weather isn't looking promising but I have discovered two events are taking place(possibly three in Durham)over the weekend, if health allows and the weather isn't absolutely pouring down, it is Durham's Regatta Weekend. I am considering attending a church service in the cathedral on Sunday morning but in the afternoon in the grounds of the Durham Light Infantry Museum there is a free music concert by a big band.

I went out for a quick shop today and came back with a shopping trolley full of items including weedkiller, paint and a brush for the wood panels in my back garden and some inexpensive canvas type loafers(?)and a pair of cheap trainers. I go through shoes like nobodies business because of my unsteady gate. Its easier to buy new than attempt to repair or stop me wearing them out.

So its been a night of radio listening, I made myself another corned beef/tomato bap and I have had a few mugs of milky coffee.

Hopefully, I'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed for what the weekend holds but this past week my sleep has been very disturbed and I have been in a lot of pain. Whether any of my vitamins/minerals and the tablet for gout will help I'll have to see. Still debating about the tomato capsules full of Lycopene. They aren't cheap but with a third box free and added to what I am already taking, it would cost me 37p a day. Is that really expensive? Its still more than 3p-4p which I am paying now. I will take painkillers before I leave tomorrow and have some on my person. I will take my canvas seat, a bottle of water(perhaps two)and a sandwich of some kind.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you getting out in your garden; I am too. :)

I'm just wondering if your disturbed sleep may be due to the caffeine in your coffee you're drinking? Unless you drink decaffinated, of course. :)

A-L

12 June 2015 at 22:26  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

You have a point A-L :-) The coffee is very weak. Today seems much better.

The front lawn cut a week ago is not shooting away, I think I can get away with doing it approx. every 3-4 weeks and I don't think that's bad. I think I am almost there with the back garden.

Hope that your gardening is going well too.

12 June 2015 at 23:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes thanks, grass is cut here and I won't get the hedges trimmed until I am sure that all the wild birds have finished nesting. Planting up my containers with geraniums and snapdragons. Have you ever thought about getting a patio rose? They're so easy, and are there all the year round. :)

A-L

13 June 2015 at 18:36  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I love all the suggestions and thanks. I think I have a blackbird in my hedge in the front garden(think I saw one go into it the other week by chance.

My hedge needs replacing in part(taken over by brambles)and very woody. A neighbour keeps saying put a fence in but I like the hedge as do the birds and around here everyone is either taking their hedges out(and not putting another in)or replacing with walls/fences. :-(

I have no idea if its good but I see on June 18th Aldi's have a trimmer for around £20. It might do for me.

13 June 2015 at 20:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love hedges too, and have planted some when I moved to my bungalow 8 years ago - planted 2 laurel hedges and for the birds, a hawthorne hedge, so they can have the berries. It's not as fast growing as the laurels, but looking good now after 8 years. And the laurels remain leafy and green throughout the winter, which is so nice as otherwise things can look a bit dreary - nothing like a bit of greenery in the garden. :) Plus, by planting the hedges you're giving back to Mother Nature, because so many people are concreting over their gardens for driveways etc, and the surface water has nowhere to drain.

A-L

14 June 2015 at 09:02  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

If I was in my own property and not governed by rules I would have a wild area. I feel awful cutting down my back garden and then seeing a couple of little frogs moving amongst the grass.

Making them vulnerable to birds. Nowhere to hide and I assume the garden will be less damp. Still have no idea how they got into the garden. Surrounded on three sides by fences.

Determined to keep my hedge or replace it in stages. Someone is offering me some lavender by next year(for the back garden)

I'm making headway. I can't decide as last year to let the hornets be... and wait until they leave and then remove the old bird box they've taken over. Then again its nature. They only get a bit difficult if I get too close. But they're not near the house/most of the garden.

Not really hurting anything...They weren't happy tonight and gave me a buzz.

Again at ground level it feels like I've hit a brick wall and nothing is happening but from the bedroom I know I'm getting there.

15 June 2015 at 23:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home