My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, June 07, 2015

Off Into The Jungle...

to attempt a little more cutting the lawns with the strimmer...after all the sun is shining so a good day to do so...even if just a little bit.

Then a quick shave and a getting together of the buffet for tonight.

I have been invited to a small afternoon tea at my friends home after which we'll go to the usual bingo at the little club on the town.

I have to mention that the concert at Durham Cathedral was worth it. But for a variety of reasons I was unable to get the earlier bus I had hoped so being slow and tired, how long walking to the bus station took didn't really matter so I had to catch the last bus home and then it took ages to walk home from the bus stop so I did not get home until Midnight thirty(two and half hours after the concert had finished)

It takes a lot of determination to manage that trip home when that happens.

Update:Almost 2pm and its taken me that long to cut half the grass of one large lawn because the grass is so tall, my mobility issues and trying chop out of the garden some large leafy things on stalks. Now I have to try and get ready for my afternoon tea so speed is of the essence so I guess I have to go and sort myself out. I managed(don't ask how)to have a piece of the strimmer wire fly off and hit me in the face just below the right eye. And give me a small cut, good job I wear glasses.

Update2:I gave up and caught a taxi and was only thirty minutes late in the end. I just couldn't walk it. I won £10 so that almost paid for the night and taxi. Or its like getting £10 off my garden goods in the last few days.

Also got 18 answers out of twenty on the quiz with my two colleagues(could've been 19)and a total win if I'd answered Turkey when a question came up about the Ottoman Empire and I did say Turkey but had it in my head it was a neighbouring country. My friends didn't know. So we had to share the £5 prize. Its just a bit of fun but that's the best we've done for a number of weeks.

5 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

Hi Gildy.
Well done for tackling the grass.
Just a thought . . . SOME local councils will help elderly and disabled people with some jobs around the house.
They came to clear out my guttering for me a year or so ago.
It might be helpful to check your local council's website to see if they provide a similar service. You never know!

7 June 2015 at 19:42  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'm quite happy with the progress I'm making VQ. Originally I avoided doing the work because I expected it would cost me a lot of money buying equipment and I kept hoping the person(s)that promised to return would.

Thinking more tubs/baskets for flowers and bulbs that come out annually. Quite easy really.

I found out tonight someone was willing to give me a free cable extension but I've used the one I purchased and scratched the casing slightly(damage only cosmetic)because I knocked it over on a path, had I stood it on the lawn all would've been well.

Of course I don't know how large the free cable roll would've been.

7 June 2015 at 23:05  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

My H Association does not have a good reputation and again I found myself talking to someone I did not know on Saturday(I attract people who like to chat)all ages I have an open friendly face and will often say something to a stranger and heard some stories.

When they took over the properties around here we were promised all kind of help for those who needed it(free and/or for a modest charge)that soon came to an end. We all agree it was better under council ownership.

But they are quite strict and on things many would see as not that important. So getting help on gardens is a difficult one but now you've mentioned it...perhaps a charity would consider helping.

However, I think I've got things sorted for now :-) I'm planning to get out there and see what I can do in the morning.

7 June 2015 at 23:35  
Anonymous VQ said...

Glad to hear that you have things under control.
However, regarding the Council help which I mentioned, in our borough you don't have to be a Council tenant to get help. I own my own house but, because I'm old and decrepit, they were perfectly happy to help with a job that I couldn't manage myself. And it was free!
I know that Councils vary but you may find it interesting to read through their website. If there's any help to be had, you may as well have it. 😊

8 June 2015 at 00:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I should've put up images before and after so the difference could be seen. I'd say perhaps next time but hopefully there won't be a next time :-)

As I said my H Ass has a bad reputation. They are ready to complain but not so quick to help.

We only have a County Council and a Town Council now. You might be right that I could persuade the H Ass to do some jobs for a modest charge(thankfully many of the jobs come under the fact I rent from them)and they are done for free. The garden isn't one of them. :-(

Again I may find a kind neighbour who will do some tasks for free or I can pay a little something for their help or in kind.

I think there is a local charity that I could probably ask about help. I may go down that route.

I was determined to have a day off today but I'm going to put a couple of hours in, the weather is kind and I feel quite "Up for it!"

11 June 2015 at 11:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home