My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, February 06, 2015

Another Pear Shaped Day...

I awoke feeling a bit down but got up and managed to find ways to fill the time but my quick trip to the shops(the plan was to get home and watch a Western)but anything that could delay me did so that hour became three hours.

Treats included a chopping board, a glass work top protector ideal for rolling out dough/pastry.


Coasters and place mats.


a variety of foil pie and quiche dishes, a gadget that looks like an egg slicer but you use it to slice...strawberries...totally un-necessary of course.




A measuring jug, mixing bowl, a pastry brush. Haddock fish fillets, ready rolled short and puff pastry, marmalade, rice pudding, sweet potatoes and now the fun starts...that will keep me busy over the weekend. I'm staying in and going nowhere. So many ideas home made pies, pasties and who knows what else.

Some items were on offer and by using vouchers I only had to find £5 in cash.

I'm going to listen to the radio and stay cosy in bed but may have fish, chips and peas later for my late supper* I'm not much bothered by what's on TV tonight. If I was already sat in front of TV I might watch a couple of programmes but I can watch them on catch up anyhow.

*I have put the meal back 24 hours and tonight I will either watch the film The Aviator or repeats of Last of the Summer Wine.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your weekend cooking! Any idea what you are going to make? Hope you will post photos. :)

I'm having a "me" weekend too. :)

A-L

6 February 2015 at 20:32  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I say its a pear shaped day but not really, just I woke up out of what seems to have been a bit of an unhappy dream and then the rest of the day has been fine.

I think tasks like cooking gives you something to think about. And the little luxuries just add to the home and once purchased, you don't buy them again :-)

What to cook? Well there are some simple but easy recipes in the Tesco magazine(and website)and loads of other places online.

Fish and chips again(I think)thought of making my own meat pies* and even pasties but not forgetting traditional meals you know sliced meat, vegetables and gravy or without gravy. Even a sauce of some kind.

And of course Pancake Day is coming around.

I'll stick a few images on the blog.

*Could be interesting using pastry and trying to decide if I just put a pastry top on it or make a proper one.

Whether to have it in a kind of dish that you scoop the contents out or a full pie.

I could have a go at a meal using rice. I usually do it in the microwave, in the past I have used a pan on the stove but I may see if I can do it the slow cooker. I know you can buy rice cookers...Aldi's are selling one soon but it looks like a small slow cooker to me.

6 February 2015 at 21:32  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

A quick search shows that rice can be cooked easily in a slow cooker. Another idea has popped into my head as long as I do not make it too spicy I could have an attempt at a curry.

I may very well look into the idea of making home made soup again.

I can do so much either from scratch or by cheating and combining some basic skills with some ingredients that are already made.

6 February 2015 at 21:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a weird dream last night - was baking chocolate chip muffins for a lot of children, and the guy that was supposed to be helping me weigh the ingrediants, just went off and left me to do all the work!

A-L

6 February 2015 at 22:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home