My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, June 30, 2014

Food...Lovely...

Often simple really is best...

If money was no object I would have come home with so much more from the "Homegrown Food Festival" in Northallerton yesterday but income is limited so even the small amount of treats I came home with had to be chosen carefully.

It all ran like clockwork to be honest...

Caught a bus at around 9.30am

Caught a train around 10.44am

Arriived in Northallerton by 10.55am and I found a reasonably short route to where the festival was being held.

I planned to stay to the end of the event but when you have spent your allotted sum and seen all the stalls on the site, it made sense to take your time and return home unrushed and in plenty of time.

The weather was kinder this year and the rain held off, the sun even shined. I missed the entertainment provided in one way because this year I managed to get into the marquee and watch a cooking demonstration with the popular TV chef in the UK Brian Turner. But I am sure his programmes and books are seen around the world.


So I was on the train home at 2.30pm. I was in Darlington by 2.45pm. I did not fancy the walk from the railway station to the town centre and worked out it would take me longer than waiting twenty minutes for a town bus...

So caught it at 3.09pm

Then boarded a bus for here that was already waiting and I was in my home by 4pm. That gave me three and a half hours rest before going out with my friends for little bit of a social life. I came home with some of the food I took so that will keep me fed for today(ham/cheese rolls)cherry tomatoes. I did not feel tired but obviously was as I was starting to doze off during the final set of the singer in the club and I did fall asleep as soon as I came home and did have a nap waiting to go out for the evening.

Amongst the three meals Brian cooked(all very easy and quick)was a left over chicken meal and he said it is cheaper to buy a full chicken rather than separate pieces of chicken and what he said probably makes sense and is true but when(as I often do)find it on offer or reduced, I can often find buying specific cuts are less expensive.




So what did I buy?

Three loaves of Artisan bread(I really must have a go again at making my own)but again as I have said about the chicken, sometimes I can buy it so cheap and being single I can save time(not baking my own)money not having to use an oven and buy ingredients. Though it is nice to say "I made that" and perhaps make something a bit different.

I purchased a Brie and Cranberry loaf, a Mediterranean one and a kind of Olive Oil based loaf.


I also purchased some locally brewed beer that was in a limited quantity of 250 bottles and produced specially for the day.


It was a look out and a bit of a change for a Sunday. It was a little difficult to get images because the stalls were surrounded by lots of customers(which is good)but I had taken the wrong memory card which was almost full. When I realised how sunny the day turned out I wish that I had remembered to put on some sun lotion.








Embedded image permalink

I've added the image above to prove I was there...sadly I am the bald person in the centre of the picture in the dark shirt. Ho Hum...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a good time on Sunday. Your new front door looks nice - we have just replaced our front door too. It was the original old oak door about 70 years old. We tried to maintain it as best we could but it was draughty in the winter and when it rained heavily the wood swelled up and it wouldn't shut - which kind of defeats the object of a door! Think it will really help keep the house warm in the winter.

30 June 2014 at 17:58  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Yes, it was a good day and even more positive than my blog entry suggests and once I am determined to do something I do all I can to succeed at the plan.

The door is very snug and will see a warmer house in winter and especially when its windy, I sometimes had to stuff paper in the gaps around the frame of the old one.

I do realise sometimes you have to give in as it can be for the best. Like yourself the original door had lasted very well.

30 June 2014 at 18:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home