My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Ho Hum...It's Wednesday...

I slept reasonably well...

It seems a decent day outside but I have put off the trip to Roker Park and the illuminations of Alice in Wonderland until Friday or Saturday which will be the last chance to go.

I have packed all of Mum's clothes into sacks to go through. Will I keep something as a memory? What should I if I do? Unsure to be honest.

I think I'll cook something up in the slow cooker, the weather is right for a casserole of some kind...and perhaps I can store the extra for another meal or two. There are a few options beef, chicken, sausages. And lots of lovely vegetables.

Having one of those days where I feel a bit apprehensive but cannot pin it down to anything in particular.

But like most things...it will pass. I have hit a brick wall. But when I get out on my travels again I will have more images and tales to share. It picks up again in November and December all being well. However, there are not as many shows I wish to see during the first six months of the new year but if I put money aside I will be ready for those I do wish to see when announced and in the meantime I will continue to support the music nights at the town hall in Bishop Auckland which are also much cheaper than most of the theatre shows. If nothing unexpected happens I know there are some cracking shows lined up for the New Year.

I gave three purses of Mum's away that I found that will go into raffles, tombola's etc...and benefit some of the clubs that I attend. I won a raffle at the music club last night but put my prize back into the system so it can be used to raise more money. So in a round about way its my way of donating something for another one and purchasing tickets too. I gave up a bottle of wine and another person gave up a lovely box of luxury chocolates.

Update:I've been out, its turning nasty so its good to be home. I found a wooden block of knives for £5 and purchased a little gift of luxury chocolates as it was someone's birthday today. It was a silly price £1.50 but for an extra 50p I could have two making them both £1 or one for £1.50 and the other 50p. I will give them tomorrow.

It means that I can have one for myself too. I don't buy much chocolate and not the luxury stuff.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...


I remembered how we all mocked when Jimmy Savile was found to have kept all his Mum's clothes for years- but when it happens to you - you can understand why.
I would suggest that you keep just a little something, a favourite coat or jumper perhaps?

31 October 2013 at 10:02  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I have read/seen/heard instances of partners keeping something to remember someone by. That is accepted more I think. I have let virtually everything go. There is not that much in the way of photo's for that matter.

Its been said and it is true that once letters, utility bills stop arriving. Bank details are changed its as if that person never existed.

And they are remembered only as long as friends and family are around to do so.

Our existance is fleeting and only those who invent, cure a disease, does some great event, writes a book, performs in a film, a play, makes music in some way do you get some kind of immortality.

31 October 2013 at 10:44  
Anonymous VQ said...

I think you've got a book in you, Gildy.
Quick! Get pen and paper.

31 October 2013 at 12:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your quite right you know.

I was at an office with Mum's birth and death certificate in front me,here was her whole life in front of me and I suddenly realised how short life is.
Her good deeds, love and laughs she gave people have dissipated into the atmosphere and I m not sure what I am left with?-absolutely nothing it seems as she was not sentimental about any material goods so I can't say 'this was hers,she liked this'.

So when one of those smart religious types called at the door and said "excuse me what do think is the meaning of life" I said "absolutely nothing"..he was a bit taken back,did't have a stock answer and left.

31 October 2013 at 13:47  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

There is much in what you say Anon...and very well put. I have an old telephone directory and its only when I open it and see her name next to the phone number and address there is proof of her existance.

I do have mixed feelings about religion as you may know from past blog entries and I can get comfort sometimes from church but maybe it is from the social side. Perhaps its the calming effect of such a place.

Some who call to spreaad the word of God are genuine but often it is as you say they have certain answers they stick to and are thrown when met with a question they are not expecting.

Also some have yet to face what would be seen as a difficult life changing event.

31 October 2013 at 14:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home