My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, October 26, 2013

I'm Going To Make An Assumption...

Just as the two who visit from the HA do about me. They are probably on very good wages unlike many of those they visit and probably more than many others who work at there. Not forgetting those who relie on various benefits and allowences from the state or survive on a state pensions. So I am on the side of those who are working hard and those less fortunate, its not a blanket criticism of all who work day in day out in a social worker type capacity within the community.

They may think that I am strange because I have what may be seen as an old style attitude(there are more of us around especially if they could go into private homes)who buy clothes from charity shops, make and mend, making simple meals(batch cooking)looking for offers and reduced sections of the supermarket, have a food store, careful how much they use the electric and gas etc...some just do as it is their choice and some do because they have to.

Some don't have there own transport and many are unable to get access to a bus pass and the service is often poor and expensive so many have to spend many hours indoors and often they don't have family living nearby for a variety of reasons.

The other day they started looking at my CH system, its fine and very good. In time it will need replacing but its un-necessary. Even if it was upgraded I would not use it anymore than I do now...you can have the most efficient system in the world and the extras like double glazing, loft insulation, cavity wall insulation etc...but if the energy prices continue to rise and your income cannot cover the prices it means nothing.

Even charities and the Prime Minister say eat and drink more hot meals, put an extra jumper on etc...to stay warm. I know people who are living in rented accommodation(even from the HA)who never receive a visit. People in their own homes who people may think are ok who are economical with their heating and perhaps put it on for an hour in the morning and perhaps a couple of hours at night.

I know of people who go to bed early and keep warm using lots of fleeces and duvets, have thermals, dressing gowns, wear hats, gloves, scarves, socks in the home, some families wrap themselves in duvets when in the living room, boil a kettle only when required(keeping spare boiled water in flasks for later)hot water bottles and so on. Its not just the elderly, sick, disabled etc...I've talked to people who work in the call centres for the energy companies who admit that they economise too.

It should not be that way in 2013 but for many it is. You work with what you have. I have said it before, the census comes around and one question is "Does your home have central heating!" You can tick yes or no but there is no way you can add...its installed but its too expensive to use. But when the statistics come out the Government can say look how many of the population has central heating.

My system has a timer and I can set it to come on at various times or all the time. I can heat the water or heat both water and the house. One of them could not grasp that. Then he looked in the airing cupboard and saw a switch and couldn't grasp that is an immersion heater. Just another option to being totally dependent on gas(not that I use it)he couldn't get that either and admitted being confused. And kept asking where the water tank is...hello, its in the loft.

The guy I saw originally about the drains in their office greeted me by saying "I know you" "I keep trying to get you to upgrade your heating system" He doesn't...he only mentioned it once. Its a good system. Heated water stays hot for ages and if you don't run it all off it can be reheated in a few minutes.

Whilst here they asked about the heating system? Coincidence? A friend asked me why I allow them to look around as they do and so often...because I feel that I have to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home