My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, May 03, 2013

Quite A Quiet Day...

My knees are a bit sore. But it turned out to be quite a nice day(I hear that the weekend is expected not to be as kind)

Going to try and bake my bread again later...since following tv programmes and websites, I have found a book I have with many bread/buns/cake recipes and they all seem simple and foolproof. Even the flour I buy has a recipe on the back for making a starter and sourdough bread. Where I buy it now I save 72p on strong white flour and 21p on wholemeal...that's for a 1.5kg bag. I dragged home in my shopping trolley tonight 8.5kgs of flour*:-O surprisebut also a variety of seeds and fruit so when I have mastered the art of baking again I can try something a little different. Or I can add it to breakfast cereals/porridge.

I have some berry fruit mix(cranberries, raisins, pineapple, inca berries, tart cherries, bling cherries and blueberries)tropical fruit mix(apricots, pineapple, mango, coconut, raisins, banana)sesame seeds, seeds and fruit mix(pumpkin and sunflower seeds, goji berries and pine nuts)

I have yeast, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder but the above bread is supposed to not need help but I can if I want to...

I had two filling sandwiches for lunch(bacon and egg)in malted bread, late this evening I had half a sausage, bacon quiche with salad. And I may give in and have a small bread and butter pudding with custard later.

Update:Bread failure...lighter in colour on the outside but flat and like a brick, the inside still does not look like those you buy in the shops...back to the drawing board.

4 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

I don't know if this will help, Gildy.
http://www.sourdoughhome.com/index.php?content=trouble

Don't give up. You'll get there in the end!

3 May 2013 at 12:54  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hi VQ,
Thank you for the link :o)
Happier today as I have found an instructional video on You Tube and already I think that I have not been kneeding the dough long enough!

The consistancy has improved. I hope!

I have also seen what my starter dough shough should look like and it needs to be more active, mine has been for the top couple of inches but the one I saw picture of, the whole starter was bubbly so that could make a difference too but as you say...hopefully I will get there.

I refuse to give in...

3 May 2013 at 15:50  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I had a small amount of a bag of flour left so am having a go again but expecting failure.

The good news is my new attempt at my starter mixture has taken off and seems to be looking like the one I saw earlier on You Tube and I believe instead of the froth being on top and to a depth of perhaps an inch it could be five inches now.

With this improvement and my extra kneeding we may have it cracked. If so images will be posted.

3 May 2013 at 19:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, Gildy, the weather will also have a huge effect on baking anything.

Moisture content and temperature in particular.

You might also read up on that and see if there are any special measures to counteract that.

Jan

16 May 2013 at 10:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home