My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Feeling A Bit Better...

These past few days I have been sleepy and not fully awake...I will pick up again I'm sure.

I did make the effort last night and cook a meal...the plan was to have vegetables and a chicken and veg pie with gravy, topped with Puff Pastry. I could have got 4 meals out of it but as it was worth approx £5 and I paid £1.15 it was good value. It was a family pie aimed at a family of four.

I ate half and did not add anything else. Today I will split it and make a smaller portion. The downside, it had to be cooked in the oven for 45 minutes. Then again the previous night I was cooking fish and chips in the oven...that took 25 minutes. And if I plan to make my own bread that will be another time I will be using the oven.

Annoyingly I discovered on Tuesday night that I had lost a glove(perhaps over the weekend when I was last outdoors)but surprised that I did not realise sooner so that's some more money I will have to spend and I just hope that they are still in the shops and not been withdrawn because its coming into Summer)and mine are more suited to the fall/winter. Not sure how it happened as they were placed in a closed shopping trolley and I did not wear them.

I may have a look out today...need some extra mixing bowls and tins for the oven if I am to do some homemade food...

I was thinking of possibly going to see an event at the weekend, some land sailing on Redcar beach but I forgot I have to be back to see a local concert by a tribute band to the Beatles and the bus service on Sundays is poor so I may have to give up on that idea.

I may not spend anything tomorrow and Saturday but may just get out for the sake of it and have a look to see what two other Farmers Markets are like to see who attends and how big they are and whether they are worth visiting again.

But having been in touch with more directly with some of these producers directly and having previously mentioned the store in Newcastle called mmm...I have found out that the big departmental store Fenwicks are stocking local produce in their food halls so if getting to the markets proves difficult perhaps I can make one trip and visit these two retailers to get all that I need.



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you ever go to Northallerton ?Lewis and Cooper is very good and they often reduce near sell by date items

25 April 2013 at 13:58  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Funny you should mention Northallerton...I have been thinking of having a look through there and whilst I have a pass I can go for free...if I choose the right days...Mon-Sat

Will still take a couple of hours either direction...

25 April 2013 at 17:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had been thinking about it and it is feasable for you to get there.Wednesday and Saturday are wonderful market days along the high street,the 4th Wednesday in the month is local farmers market day.I am not before you ask trying to promote Northallerton its just that its so much nicer than most of the other local towns.

25 April 2013 at 18:49  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

You are right, it is a lovely area. Sadly the areas that I most want to see are the most difficult to reach. The answer may be to try and travel, relocate and use that as a place to start another leg of the journey but I need a cheap B&B. And these places are often booked well in advance and they know that they can charge because of the demand.

There is an event at Leyburn that looks good but buses are difficult or not available.

Hebden Bridge is another that has an event. The same problem happens regarding Cumbria and Northumberland.

Thinking of going to Sunderland tomorrow, can't believe I'd ever say that. Stockton on Saturday(that is the same one as takes place at Saltburn)but larger.

I still have to go to Chester Le Street that surprised me as I passed through on the way to Newcastle.

And talking of locally produced food I know I mentioned mmm in Newcastle's city centre a producer "Gingerbread Mam tells me that Fenwicks's the big dept store carries a range of locally produced food in their food hall.

So if there is a problem chasing around the markets I may be able to find all I need at those two places and they are only approx 10 mins from each other.

I know that a lot of the meat produced is said to be special but I'm mainly going to stick with jams, relishes, chutneys and perhaps desserts etc...

25 April 2013 at 19:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home