My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

I Know Not Everyone Has Transport Or Can Get Around Easily...

And my blog sometimes talks about events that many in other parts of the world or the UK cannot reach but I implore you to search out your local food producers and visit their markets when they are in your area to keep them alive. To buy on line if they have a website and if there is not a market nearby do what you can to see if those who can organise such things try and bring one near to you.

It gets people out into parts of a county they might not usually see, it might encourage more business into an area that is suffering economically.

I wish that especially in the spring and summer that more bus services were laid on to get people out of the towns and into the country areas that I miss seeing these days like the Dales etc...

Remember the old coach trips many of us used to go on as children with our parents? How about some that could be arranged to go to events like the Food Festival in Tynemouth as an example...they've been clever to have some events that you pay to attend but to also have some that are free...my fear is that many getting into this are now seeing it as a cash cow and will start charging so much that the producers will have to pay far too much to set up a stall(that includes the Government)and money that could be spent on the produce is already spent before anyone thinks of buying what's on sale.

Already my own town has no green grocer and its down to the supermarket. But my visit to Stockton on Tees yesterday(mainly to see the Farmer's Market)showed me that there is a vibrant market with lots of well priced fruit and veg that could mean I eat well and can have a varied diet as long as I can afford to travel(especially having access to a bus pass)and health allows...also a number of other stalls that have goods that cost much more in a supermarket. To be honest there was much more choice than the supermarkets on my town. Best thing I ever did was to buy a shopping trolley and a rucksack.

Thinking ahead as I get older this could be a way that those on a limited budget and the elderly get access to better quality food. Well everyone to be honest if those who decide the social care of our nation. There always seems plenty of talk but not much action.

2 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

I wonder if this might be of help....
http://www.davidurquhart.com/regions/tyne__and__wear?region=tyne-wear&regionid=6838

28 April 2013 at 16:36  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks VQ :o)
Buses though a problem in evenings/Sundays/bank holidays...my friends at the festival tell me the Metro train station is 1 minute from it and a particular bus from Newcastle stops at the very place!

Its the last leg of most journeys nearest to my town that is the worst part...

28 April 2013 at 18:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home