My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, May 05, 2013

Money Doesn't Go Far...

we all know that, luckily a lot of what I purchased yesterday will last a long time or years but suddenly I found that I had spent something like £25:eek:It does make me wonder how when some are worse off than me or when I find it getting more difficult and it will, how they manage on low incomes or low benefits like Job Seekers Allowance if I can spend that much so quickly on seemingly so little.

All I purchased was some salad items(Tomato, cucumber, spring onions, lettuce)flour, some spreadable butter on offer, a bun tin, a medium plastic food box, toilet rolls, tea towels, some low priced/basic birthday cards(10 for a £1)I  thought I'd buy a batch but I don't really have anyone to send to. Its more a case of being prepared if one happens unexpectedly...like tonight!

I have found a brand of toilet roll cheaper than many supermarket own brand or those advertised. They are even better value because they are 3ply. Some cheap brands are false economy.

The tea towels were four for £1.99 and micro fibre. I don't do much dish washing, you don't need to when alone. So most items dry when left to drain. They were mainly purchased to dampen and drape over the bowls etc...that my dough is in whilst rising.

The sourdough starter is doing so well growing in size that the large Kilner jar may need to be changed to the box I purchased. The box gives easy access if using a cup/jug to get the starter out though I can pour the liquid out of the jar. I'll probably use both.

The box has a vent to allow gas out as the yeast eats the flour and they say you should let air in...one instructional video on You Tube said that you should not use an airtight jar which a Kilner is and the person said a jar has been known to explode?

The box is double the size of the jar. It will allow me extra storage if the starter expands too much and means I do not have to throw any away...I'm keeping an eye on it as it has already increased in volume and almost reached the top of the jar.

As it is warmer upstairs and I have so many gadgets in the kitchen to help me with my meals...I have to admit I have to make my bread upstairs too...but as I tend to live upstairs its like a bedsit. I have a kettle and often have snacks too(usually something to make a sandwich or cereal/biscuits etc...)So as I lie here in bed I can see how the yeast is rising. So before long I may have to jump out of bed and transfer some of it to its new home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home