My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, May 04, 2013

Almost Cracked It...I think!

My sourdough starter looks as it should. The bread was almost baked correctly and the inside of the bread had just about the appearance of a loaf you buy in a bakers/supermarket. So that means I have the kneading and proving sorted. I also have solved the problem of bread spreading out and becoming flat.

The error was to doing it as seen in a video on You Tube and bake them in ovenproof glass dishes, they probably would have been ok on baking tray or in a loaf tin. I think that I used the wrong oil to grease the dishes and the loaves stuck to them.

But things are 95% better.

It appears that "Ordinary" bread can be made quicker and is less likely to spread out compared to sourdough. So I may work between the different types. Some don't require any kneeding either. And finally I may have a go at making a variety of items, it gives a sense of satisfaction and purpose too. Its something to do. That I think I can manage whilst I continue to learn about sourdough bread.

Lots of tidying up to do over the weekend, need to clean the cooker too. I have done a load of washing and dried it too. Should vacuum but will do that tomorrow. I may have a quick look out for an hour, may bring home some more flour.

I had banana, strawberries, blackberries and cereal earlier(from a variety selection of Kellogg's)frosties and rice krispies. Its good to get back to some regular food that is more as I used to eat and use some of my food store. Later I will use up some sliced garlic chicken and make some sandwiches up adding some tomato, pea shoots and spring onions.

Much later perhaps I'll have some chicken pie,mini rosties and vegetables.

I  will take the weekend and Bank Holiday easy but do the spring clean as the landlord(Housing Association)is visiting on Wednesday(the visit was planned a few weeks ago but postponed)hoping there are no surprises.

I may be out at a local club on the town tomorrow night, have been invited informally as it is the Birthday of someone I know...nothing like a party happening. There is a turn, a quiz, a game of bingo, a drink etc...its a change for a Sunday night. Me playing bingo*=)) rolling on the floorits more for fun as much as anything. Probably have to get a taxi home...usual reason...will see if I can share it.

I'd like to attend a new Farmers Market tomorrow in Stewart Park near Middlesborough, it sounds great and its a look out. I hear Stewart Park is something to see and I have never been there before, so I may make another journey when there is more time. I will hopefully post some images on my blog.

Barnard Castle Farmers Market

Stewart Park

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You missed a brilliant farmers market at Barney,all your friends were there Just Williams and Gingerbreadmam.There is also a permanent good bread shop The Moody baker.Have you tried the new bakery in Darlington The Clarvaux ,they have excellent sourdough loaves.

4 May 2013 at 21:32  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I felt bad about missing it. And William is missing the next. There is an event at Raby Castle later in the year. I'd love to go there again...its been years...too long.

I only discovered The Clarvaux by accident on google maps/street view approx a week ago, I had no idea it existed.

I do hope all that I am witnessing is a good sign of more of these places taking off. We need more access to such businesses in my part of the county.

4 May 2013 at 21:55  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

There are times of late where I almost wish that I lived nearer to Durham or nearer to Yorkshire/Teeside as there seems to be much more going on and it is a good place to use to travel from.

And there are many more markets easier to attend. And yes public transport is better...

4 May 2013 at 22:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home