My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, May 06, 2013

Anyone Short Of Milk Over Bank Holiday?

I've found approx 15 litres of long life milk(skimmed and semi skimmed)to use up. OK its past its best before dates but I know that it will be fine...so that will save some of the shopping budget. Its because lately I have been managing to buy four pints of fresh milk for £1(less if reduced in the bargain area of the supermarket)

Also I have been using some powdered milk in tea/coffee which is fine.

I always make certain I have all types of milk in the house for all eventualities suddenly being caught short but also for easiness. That also includes but rarely used condensed milk. Its decades since I had that. Brings back childhood memories. Many seemed to have fruit and evaporated milk for Sunday Tea.

So I had a look out and spent money but it was a good one today...I purchased some flour at Aldi's Self Raising and Plain is 70-80p cheaper than Tesco's for 1.5kg bags. Allinsons strong white is 30-40p less, and Wholemeal is approx 25p less in Aldi's. Its all quite a saving.

I hovered around the reduced section of the supermarket and had collared some bargains and was quite happy but went back on the off chance that something else might be reduced or put on the shelf.

I found a couple of items in my trolley had been reduced further to the price I had secured. So I said to the person reducing "I know I'm being cheeky but any chance you could reduce what I have to match the price you've reduced the same item on the shelf" I mentioned I am on my own and had recently lost Mum. He did and said all he was bothered about was getting everything sold.

I ended up with approx £20 of food for approx £2. That included two steak pies with ale worth £4 for 32p. A couple of fancy chicken pies with cheese/spinach(I'd never pay the original price of £5.50)I got those for 44p. A selection of sandwiches worth £6 for £1.50(I bet he'd have reduced them further)but did not push my luck, some boiled gammon ham worth £2.05 for 10p, blue cheese worth £1.50 for 7p. I forget what else I managed to find...

You know with bargains like this if I done this when Mum was alive what she could have enjoyed at bargain prices. To be honest if pensioners could hang around what meals they could enjoy and make the money go further.

Whether I have health problems or not anything you can do to all you can to try to stop or slow down their progress has to be good so I'm doing my little bit with diet. And losing some weight is a good thing but I must have lost a fair bit as my trousers I can hold away from my waist and have space but without a belt holding them up they'd drop...perhaps I should invest in some braces. In some ways I am reluctant to have them taken in still further in case weight goes back on or water retention returns...

Nice to see that I only have 6lbs to lose to hit 9st and 13lbs to reach 8st 7lbs. Anything below 9st is a bonus...

2 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

I wonder if 'fruit and condensed milk' is a northern thing.
In the south, we used to have fruit with evaporated milk.
I always keep a tin of evaporated milk in the cupboard just in case I run out of fresh milk. I actually prefer the taste of the evaporated in tea.

6 May 2013 at 18:38  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

VQ An error on my part...evaporated milk is what I should've said...will correct that!

Will also add some more about the bargains I found today, it was a good day.

It is when you can be around when food is reduced but most who work approx 9-5 would miss out. As my local supermarket does its reductions between 4pm-5.30pm.

6 May 2013 at 20:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home