My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Thatcher's Demise...

I want to try and avoid being disrespectful. Annoying those for or against her as both a person and her policies and avoid getting abuse myself.

However for an over all view of yesterday these two or three features says quite a lot...

The Taboo Of Speaking Ill Of The Dead

TV Tributes Draw Fewer Than 3m Viewers

You know when I said I only remember Churchill having a state funeral and no other Prime Minister getting this amount of coverage or a funeral of this importance author Kate Williams tweeted the following...

"Apart from Churchill in 1965, State funerals commemorated the death of Wellington in 1852, Palmerston in 1865, Gladstone 1898. No other PMs"

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Hi Gildy, I am a 100 percent Maggie fan but I went to the cinema with my son because that is what I had planned to do. The viewing figures mean zilch in my opinion: everybody already knows whether they love or hate her (ok, not just those extremes but that's the Marmite cliche)

Re abusive tweets and jokes etc, they never stopped and I expected a lot more, I guess we'll see a lot more as the funeral approaches, insecure wankers have never bothered me before

Re state funerals, well the Radio and TV coming along probably dealt with the need for 'normal' PMs since 1900 to have them.

9 April 2013 at 20:25  
Blogger Span Ows said...

P.S. there's a campaign to get 'the witch is dead' from Wizard of Oz to be #1, she would have loved the effort people are making!

9 April 2013 at 20:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home