My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

On Saturday I Attended A Show...


 
Darlington Civic Theatre, you can look at the history of this venue at the Highlighted link.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cool old building!

I've downloaded the info on it to read later.

Jan :o)

26 April 2013 at 09:21  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

It is run by the local authority, many theatres are and constantly under threat of closure. Also it very much depends on who is still able or willing to appear at a theatre.

Especially a smaller one and then attracting a big enough audience.

I fear the time will come where performers will only appear at a really large venue and don't understand playing a more intimate surrounding and the same likewise with to be honest a younger audience.

Also are performers and even audiences no longer used to or interested in drama as they were?

Having said that some stand up comics, actors and musicians are still prepared to appear.

This could work in the favour of returning to more entertainment in pubs, clubs and community centres. Sometimes for free/small fee. Which many years ago was how they started and learnt their craft.

26 April 2013 at 13:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to remember hearing quite a few artists say they actually like smaller, more intimate, venues.

Hopefully, attitude will prevail. It would be a shame to lose small theaters. :o(

Jan

26 April 2013 at 19:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home