My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, April 12, 2013

I'm Considering Whether To Have A Holiday...

whilst I am able whether because income drops because of daily living costs or changes in the ideas the government has planned. Some will say if you are unable to work or accept help you should not have one I haven't for perhaps 12 years or more. My Dr says I should for my health.

It may not happen but am thinking of staying reasonably local...possibly Saltburn, Whitby or Scarborough. If I leave it too late there may be no rooms available but I prefer to take off at a minutes notice. The cheapest I have found would be in June/July B&B for £25 daily. I could even consider just a couple of days...and use my bus pass whilst I have access to one.

Or take a coach holiday and many coach companies include and own the hotels that they use.

We'll see nearer the time...I may have to go into hospital for an op either by me asking or the decision being made for me...better dealt with whilst I am considered still young. It will be scary being alone.

Busy day tomorrow making my way all being well for a trip to Saltburn(anyone who does not know the town)it is in Cleveland and is a seaside resort and was considered quite exclusive in years past. There is not much to do but sit on a bench and watch the sea, for hours and hours and hours.

There is also a big park and on Sundays during summer usually band concerts in a bandstand...unfortunately there is no bus service on Sundays...the day I always thought was traditionally when families tried to go out together.

There is a Farmers market taking place tomorrow. I suspect what is for sale may be too expensive for me and to be honest I am quite well stocked up with food in my freezer/fridge, kitchen cupboards, pantry and food store. So I may only buy some bread and chutney/pickles...but it will give me an idea for the future what to expect. I am entered into a draw to try and win a hamper of some kind so that would be a nice surprise if it came off.

I have also found out this market comes to another town once a month(nearer to where I live)Stockton where I was last night for the concert. Another happens in Darlington(even closer)and Durham so there are a few to choose from.

Next weekend Bishop Auckland has a two day food festival I have never been before but I may try and make the effort if my health allows, I can plan but never know until the day how I will be and afterwards may need hours/days to recover. Again what's for sale may be too expensive or not much use as a single person. Then again quality may be worth considering over price.

If so if I wind down the contents of my freezer I may use the markets more in the future. However, the amount of reduced items tonight at the supermarket, I spent around £10 and saved £10. If I portion the items it was a good buy...

Lamb and mutton mince reduced to £1.20, roast potatoes in goose fat 65p 6 wholemeal Kingsmill rolls 55p 6 Kingsmill white rolls 45p, two mint chocolate desserts 50p, two chicken breasts £2, chicken and bacon sandwiches 90p ham, cheese and pickle sandwiches £1, mini pork pies 65p Some loose tomatoes and some mixed salad.

I don't worry if I use some of the items past their use/sell by dates where possible some items go into the freezer and what doesn't will not go off immediately especially if well cooked in an oven or frying pan/saucepan. Having a good fridge/freezer and colder house(not forgetting the weather is not warm at present helps make food last longer so it has its advantages.And you know my views about best before dates.

Its a busy day tomorrow as I have to get back to this part of the county as last year I booked to see a musical and if I leave it too late I could miss it. Originally the Osmonds(Alan, Merril and Jimmy)were in the cast but their names have disappeared from the posters so I suspect they will not be appearing now. If I had known sooner I would not have booked to see it but it could still be fun.

4 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

Re: Taking a holiday.
Gildy, we pass this way just the once. If you want to go away, do so.
It's your life and life is for living. x.hichmoz 706

13 April 2013 at 20:33  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

VQ I have started posting images of Saltburn and Redcar in my latest posts...

Two pensioners got talking to me on a bus and said if I stay in Scarborough, I can use my bus pass to travel around Yorkshire using it as my starting point.

So it may happen, even a long weekend would be a possiblity...

14 April 2013 at 00:29  
Anonymous VQ said...

Gildy, if your bus pass is a conventional one, you can use it all over England!

14 April 2013 at 10:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say go, as well! It will do you a world of good. :o)

I've been busy putting in our vegetable garden (which is why I haven't posted much) and I'm looking forward to lots of fresh veggies. I know it will also save us money and even though I mostly watch my husband work (which isn't a bad deal really...I keep trying to get him to take off his shirt but no go. :oP ) just getting outside for awhile is helpful.

My town is in the heart of some of the best ag land in the US so we have loads of Farmers Markets as well as roadside fruit and veggie stands. Everyone I've ever known who moved away from here misses the fresh produce.

As for your surgery, I'm sure that will be scary, Gildy. But know this...your friends will be with you in spirit and pulling for a speedy recovery! :o)

Jan

26 April 2013 at 08:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home