My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, April 15, 2013

The Division That The Funeral And Media Coverage...

has brought about regarding the passing of Margaret Thatcher has caused strong feelings and shown how some were affected by her and her Governments policies directly but also the media which has probably whipped up the furoré which in turn keeps the story alive.

Hopefully, if I have talked about it on Twitter or here I have been reasonably balanced and respectful, mainly unbiased or if I have passed an opinion I have done so in a way that is not inflammatory.

I said in a previous post I only remember two funerals of importance in my life but am unsure if this is my memory playing tricks or I just did not bother to take notice when others took place. I have lived through the passing of at least seven ex Prime Ministers.

One was the "State" funeral of Winston Churchill. The other it turns out was not a "State" funeral and that was Diana Spencer the Princess of Wales.

I don't know why I don't remember Princess Margaret's or The Queen Mothers funerals.

I'm not so sure about the honour the country is giving Margaret Thatcher, I have mixed feelings and as has been said at this time of austerity for many.

But I found the following feature which is interesting to see how previous Prime Ministers of note have been treated/remembered which may answer those questions. Not all of them are included.

Prime Ministers Funerals

3 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

I really have no strong feelings either way regarding Mrs T's funeral except that this is a period of austerity and we really can't afford £10m. I therefore think that a private service, followed later by a memorial service would have been the better option.
They are now talking about a statue too. If this is given the go-ahead, I feel strongly that it should be paid for by public (or private) subscription.

Princess Margaret's funeral was a rather private affair and, after the service, she was sent alone to Slough Crematorium.

My son and I lined Whitehall for Diana's funeral and were within a couple of feet of the young princes as they passed. Their little white posy on top of the coffin with a label 'Mummy' broke my heart.

15 April 2013 at 18:08  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

That puts the situation pretty well into perspective VQ regarding the funeral and statue etc...and interesting to have personal recollections on Margaret and Diana's funeral and have gaps in my knowledge filled.

I always show respect when a funeral passes me, bow my head and/or cross myself. remove my hat if I am wearing one.

The bus to Durham passes the Nursing Home where Mum died, I always cross myself as it goes by. I don't know why, I just do.

15 April 2013 at 19:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've always been respectful, imo, Gildy.

I didn't have any feelings one way or the other about her either, but I understand why folks are so vehemently opposed and angry. I just don't think a person's funeral is the place to do that sort of thing, for the family's sake.

I agree, VQ, the "Mummy" sign on her coffin just did me in. :o(

Jan

26 April 2013 at 08:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home