My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Saltburn By The Sea...

I live in the neighbouring county of Durham and yet keep thinking...am I in Teeside(Cleveland)or Yorkshire when I go here. The bounderies have changed a number of times over the years and it is just inside Yorkshire.

 
 
 
It is said to offer the best surfing conditions outside of Cornwall, these are things that you hear but I am unsure how true this is but even on the day I visited there were quite a few people with surfboards and the obligatory camper van. 
 
 
This is Saltburn pier, I had intended to walk along it and perhaps sit for awhile on the seats that are there but to be honest I was really tired and gave up...perhaps next time. There is a bus that runs regularly down the very steep bank and up again so next time, I'll catch that. Especially whilst it is free.
 

 
Looking this way into the distance it is too far to see the wind farm out to sea and further on there is an industrial area that can be seen towards Redcar and Seaton Carew but they do not dominate the skyline of Marske and Saltburn.
 

 
This view is looking down from the cliffs and shows the lower lift station at the pier/beach. The three buildings in front of the pier from memory are shops but I'll check next time I am there.
 
 
The lift has been going up and down the 120ft cliff since 1884 and works via a water balance mechanism, the oldest remaining working one in the UK. It costs £1 per journey.
 

 
It is said that each car can take 15 passengers but that is a tight squeeze and when I was there last weekend it was never that packed, people were going in two and threes. Occasionally a family perhaps.
 
 
The little hut that contains the lift's operator and the controls etc...but as you'll see from the next image you enter from the side and you can see the mechanism that fills the car with water.
 


 
Another view of the pier said to be the most Northerly surviving pier.
 
 
A view of the pier from ground level.
 
 
 

 
 
Above three views of The Ship Inn...said to date back to the fifteenth century and part of "Old" Saltburn and used by smugglers(perhaps I'll get in there some time)and have a drink. It seems quite popular.
 
 

Many of the properties are fortunate to have a commanding view of the sea and coast.
 

Perhaps if I was to explore the parts of Saltburn where most live there are newer houses but the area that most people visit they are old, solid and expensive, I'm guessing probably Victorian as you can see.
 
This is perhaps the biggest hotel in the town, The Spa and for me, too expensive to consider staying but then again most of the hotels/guest houses and self catering properties are and they are usually booked well in advance.
 
I'd say that there isn't much to do in the town, perhaps that is the attraction but that's unfair. Like any town it has a community theatre, some public houses of course, lots of organistaions and a community spirit lacking in perhaps some of the larger towns, mine included.

6 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

Lovely pictures, Gildy. Thanks very much. I've never been to Redcar or Saltburn myself but I have been to Whitby and loved it.
Yorkshire is definitely my favourite county. I just adore the dales.
I'm excited about your travel prize. Are you sure it's not a Caribbean Cruise? :-)

16 April 2013 at 19:34  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Now wouldn't that be something :o)

Looks like I have a companion to go to the food festival with...I was going to potter around and that way I could leave when I wish and not spend un-necessarily but I mentioned it to someone this evening and he wants to go so...

On the other hand I don't mind mixing with any age and it looks like I have been invited on a day out to Bridlington in July(£10)for the day with some pensioners :o)

Its a change so I may take up the offer...Never been there before.

Nice to be asked.

I was quite happy with photo's and good to be able to post them...

17 April 2013 at 00:40  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Determined to get to Whitby even if just for a day. It would be nice if I could stay for a couple of days.

17 April 2013 at 01:16  
Anonymous VQ said...

Whenever I think of fish and chips (which is quite often!), I think of Whitby) I think The Magpie was the best F&C restaurant but, to be honest, they were all good.
Yes. I tried most of them!
My late husband's mother's family came from Whitby. They were jet workers (nothing to do with planes).
Treat yourself to a few days, Gildy!

17 April 2013 at 09:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrific pictures, Gildy! :o)

I'll never be able to visit there so thank you for that. :oD

That does look like it would be good surfing.

Yay! Sounds like your finding some traveling companions!

Jan

26 April 2013 at 09:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love the funicular! Powered by water, eh? Very clever! :o)

I need to show that to my husband. He'll appreciate it. :o)

My travel options are limited. If they weren't Great Britain would definitely be on my list.

I guess all Americans, regardless of where their people originated or how long they've been here, have a desire to visit "the old country" at some point.

Some of my branch is from your part of England, Gildy, so it's extra special for me to see photos of your travels and here about the history. :o)

Perhaps you should do a travel blog for the disabled and those with low-mobility...you know, like what places are more wheelchair accessible, or where the restrooms are, how to save money, etc... things that would be helpful to those folks.

I'll bet you anything that if you really wanted to, eventually, travel destinations would pay you to come there and write a review. People do that sort of thing all the time over here.

Writing reviews of products and services can get you a lot of free stuff! And you could go places you couldn't possibly afford now.

Anyhoo...just a thought...


Jan :o)

26 April 2013 at 19:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home