My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Did I Say?

I hope to attend another Food Festival on May 4th and will have to be up very early to get there to catch it and...possibly see the seaside. It takes place in a town/village I do not believe I have been before Tynemouth. Could take me approx 3 hours to get there(ditto coming back)hope that the weather is kind...

If I lived around Durham or Newcastle I could knock approx an hour of my journey time, would access to more buses and local train services and I could visit more place in the North of my region but be near enough to reach areas that I do now...but some places I wish to visit can take upto six hours to get there using buses. I'd be more centrally based.

I may in those cases have to look at seeing if there are any cheap day returns on the trains or coaches or see if there is a cheap B&B I can stay for a few days so I can be in the area or use that as a starting point explore neighbouring areas.

We have ordinary markets and now Farmers Markets. I understand we've had them for just under 20 years...and in the US they started approx 40 years ago so we have some catching up to do...

They are some lovely meats and sweets but have to admit I am getting back into a side of food I have neglected and that is jams, chutneys and relishes...there is one company I hope one day to see in a shop or on a market which I have linked to my blog for years and if I don't I may have to buy something on line...Hawkshead Relishes...the more you buy the better value they offer...

I would love to try the homemade beers, wines and ciders but they are a little expensive...perhaps I'll have to start and make my own again...

3 Comments:

Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Available in the States but expensive...

http://chefshop.com/Search.aspx?k="hawkshead"

In the UK if we paid the equivelent they are charging in the US it would be approx double what we pay now.

24 April 2013 at 09:35  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

On the other hand as we might pay £3.50($5.34)for a jar of something that would cost $12.99 in the States, that will include profit for the stockist, the company making it, the cost of getting it there and no doubt something will go to the US government in taxes.

24 April 2013 at 09:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the oldest US Farmers Market dates from the 1700's..

http://chadclaeyssen.hubpages.com/hub/The-Oldest-Farmers-Market-in-the-US

There was a really interesting documentary about US Farmers Markets a few years ago called, "To Market, To Market to Buy a Fat Pig" that highlighted some of the more interesting ones across the US.

You can probably find out more about it online.

And yes....I'm SURE the governments hands are all over THAT!!! :oP

Jan

26 April 2013 at 10:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home