My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Easy Pray...

It is not as easy for me to use a bus rather than a taxi because you have to get near to a bus route, when I come out of the theatre on Friday or Sunday(different places)I may still be able to get a bus home, the problem is that I am slow at walking so will I reach the bus in time but will I be vulnerable in the middle of a big town/big city? Walking with a stick. I'd feel happier to be surrounded by people at such a late hour.

So even  if I go to the theatre by bus I am debating should I be sure that I am safe and use a taxi home? I think the last bus home is approx 22.40 from one place and 22.55 from the other place. So that would get me home 23.05 and 23.40 respectively. That's late to be on your own walking home. At least a taxi gets you to your door.

It might be better to decide on the day and take a look at the location. I tried using google maps but it really wasn't much help to be honest, pity it's the back end of the year when it is dark quite early...

All those I am seeing are older than me or about the same age and I suspect it will be my only time that I may see them, Joe Longthorne used to be popular on TV and commanded a big audience in the days when there were Summer seasons at holiday resorts.

I suspect I saw him over 20 years ago in Bournemouth. I have seen Ken Dodd I think at least twice before and when he appears in a few weeks time it may the last time for him(He was on the radio today)talking about another person that deserves a tribute and he says was an influence on his choice of going into comedy and that is Stan Laurel. Anyhow, Ken  is 85 years old(or is that young)and still performing across the UK and seems to have quite a big tour.

He may not be on tv much but he's still packing them in...

Then again I was looking at Gerry Marsden And the Pacemakers tour and as I write this he's already been touring but now is on a 56 date tour all over the place, so they really do continue to put a lot of time into the business...and according to the internet he's 69.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm....I think I'd take a taxi, Gildy. That is kind of late to be on your own at a bus stop.

I'd love to see Gerry and The Pacemakers! Lucky you! :o)

Jan

5 September 2012 at 20:54  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'm leaning your way Jan, better safe than sorry probably ok using bus one way.

At least I can say even if it's late in their careers I have seen them, having grown up on their music and seeing them on tv...I wonder how many of todays "Stars" will have the staying power or be remembered.

Fame is more fleeting these days and if not they make their money quick and often get out of the business quicker these days.

6 September 2012 at 01:00  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

The worry is that as performers go for larger venues, theatres will close not just because of the recession but as fewer acts appear in intimate settings which these theatres have and you are really up close "and personal" And we have to travel further and pay more.

You don't need a big screen or a pair of binoculars to see them.

6 September 2012 at 01:05  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

For Jan and others who perhaps have not heard or seen Ken Dodd there is quite a lot of material on You Tube, think old style inoffensive comedian and singer, probably the kind of humour we grew up on and there have been some of his radio shows on BBC Radio 4 Extra and the other day as I said on Radio 4 he was on the series Great Lives talking about Stan Laurel.

6 September 2012 at 01:10  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I decided to watch the This Is Your Life on him...

6 September 2012 at 02:23  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I decided to watch the This Is Your Life on him...

6 September 2012 at 02:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have that Great Lives episode in my queue, Gildy. :o)

Although I've heard of Ken Dodd since I started listening to BBC Radio, I don't think I've ever heard him. I'll keep an ear out for some of his programs.


Jan

(Oh. I missed saying on the other thread, that the forum we met on is still going strong and we're ready for you when you're ready for us! :oP )

6 September 2012 at 12:09  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

He's nearer 86, I see his birthday is in November. I don't remember seeing him on This Is Your Life(The UK Version)and I can't think why as we always used to watch it or perhaps I have just forgotten.

My bookmark for that site has disappeared and I have forgotten its name but don't mention it on my blog, eventually we'll exchange it via e-mail or find a way to PM.

6 September 2012 at 13:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I have your e-mail address, Gildy or you could always go to the regular site (it's a .org) and go to the bulletin board from there.


Jan

6 September 2012 at 15:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its nice when you can fulfilled a dream of seeing a performer you have always enjoyed.

In April I did so, went to see the Osmonds who I adored as a 14/14 year old way back at beginning of the 1970s. They never came up my way when I was young, not that my parents would have let me go to a pop concert. They are all in their 50s and 60s now but still I have my childhood dream come true.

7 September 2012 at 02:31  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

See Donny and Marie are back in the country and doing a small tour and one performance I think is in the Liverpool area...As you say a once in a lifetime chance. So many memories...back in the 70's you'd have never heard them, now the audience listens :-)

7 September 2012 at 03:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about that!

Oprah did a show with some of Pop idols from the 70's. You never saw 50 and 60 year old women turn into 13 year old girls so fast in your life! :o)

It was great!

Jan

8 September 2012 at 12:58  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

You could be right Jan, the four or five women behind me at Joe's show were middle aged(the one who was mentioned ,from Australia)

They did not scream but were very enthusiastic and joined in with all the songs but it did not bother me or affect the show. Good that they really enjoyed it.

8 September 2012 at 14:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home