My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, September 02, 2012

The BBC Proms...

Of course they are a great showcase for Classical Music but  in recent years I have looked forward to the concerts conducted by John Wilson and the music of Hollywood musicals or as in this year's concert Music from Broadway but many still have connections to the musicals...

Well I waited to hear it for months and what did I do? Forgot about it! Thank heavens I caught it on the catch up service...still have to listen to it, I saved it for later.

So they broadcast it on tv yesterday and I planned to watch it on the laptop...what happened? I forgot again...but I'm watching it now. Such beautiful music. Thank heavens I am getting my interests back...oh how Mum would've enjoyed this...these songs have lasted for so many years and still sound good but of course you have an orchestra of note and the best singers possible. As I write I have just heard "Ole Man River"

John has a concert in Birmingham on New Year's Eve with Clare Teal but too difficult to get to and expensive and I suspect it will be sold out anyhow. I'll be watching out to see if he ever comes anywhere near here...that really would be a treat.

Well, it's all over...two hours of absolutely wonderful entertainment, one of the best concerts I have ever seen.

Tonight could be special as they aredoing a Proms celebrating 70 years of the BBC programme Desert Island Discs. I hope I don't forget this concert.

Now, next week will be a test as it's the final night at the Proms which Mum always watched even last September and she always sung at the top of voice and so strongly Jerusalem and Land of Hope nad Glory. I so want to watch it but wonder how I will react.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your interests will come back more and more, Gildy. Set backs....then progress....seems to be the way it goes. Glad to hear you're at that stage! :o)

I think next weeks Friday Night is Music Night is going to be Bond and Beyond. Looking forward to that one. :o)

Jan

5 September 2012 at 20:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Jan,
You're right on all that you say...yes it about Bond movies and I think the next week about Gene Kelly...

The John Wilson concert was fantastic at the Proms, I managed to watch it on the laptop after messing up and forgetting it was on and I also heard it on Radio 3 catch up as I say.

Whether you like Family Guy or not it is very popular and Seth MacFarlane is so talented and obviously intelligent and now he has singing as another skill to add to his list.

Singing in the style of crooners like Sinatra and the like not only with album that he has released with standards on it but this is the second Proms he has appeared.

5 September 2012 at 20:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Gene Kelly! That'll be great. :o)

Not a Family Guy fan, I'm afraid. :o/


Jan

5 September 2012 at 21:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I never got into Family Guy. I understand it not only is quirky but that it goes a bit too far on some of its content.

But then again I have been out of the loop on much of tv for years.

I am starting to get a little more interested but watch most of what I want on the internet unless something happens as tonight and due to rights it is not available.

Now whether I stick with it or decide not to is another matter. I'll be out when episode two airs(at the theatre)

It kind of brings back memories of when times were good and what has happened seemed so far in the future.

Oh and what is that programme that has made me switch on my TV?

The new series of "Dallas!"

5 September 2012 at 21:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It cracks me up that you guys got into Dallas over there! It's so awesome. I neeeever expected that, honestly. I figured it was waaay too American. :o)

Nah, I never really cared for any of those adult cartoons (i.e. The Simpsons, American Dad, Family Guy, etc...). They're really mean and just not my cuppa.

You just don't know how happy I am to hear you're starting to take interest in things again, Gildy. :o) You've past the first hurdle.

One foot in front of the other my friend...

And I expect a full report on the theater! ;o)

Jan

6 September 2012 at 12:02  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Yes, I'll do the theater reports.

I am actually starting to smile again, even to myself. I found that happening when watching the Ken Dodd programme on You Tube.

For that 45 minutes or so I almost forgot my worries and what has happened and it felt as though things were like they used to be.

What a pity I did not have broadband sooner and Mum could have heard more music and seen more of the things we liked ut don;t seem to be shown these days...

Of course I wish she was sharing them with me but...

Dallas :-) that really was one of the big ones from the States when originally shown and this version seems quite close to the feel of the original but has obviously had to bring in a young cast.

But the members of the cast who were originally in Dallas still are faithful to the charcaters they played but it now depends whether it is a one off limited series or they think it can run.

Whether Hagman is well enough to play his part and cause the problems he always has but age and ill health oviously means he will not be in each episode much, Gray could be but Duffy's character is terminally ill so unless he recovers, the suggestion is that he won't be in it very long.

Well, I'll miss next week's episode, it's not available on catch up on the net and though it is available on a time delayed channel on satellite it will be finished by the time I get home from the theatre.

6 September 2012 at 13:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw. :o( There's probably a catch-up website where you can at least read about the episode.

If I find one, I'll let you know. :o)


Jan

6 September 2012 at 15:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home