My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

According To The Radio...

The experiment to open longer and especially on Sundays during the Olympics did not result in extra  business in retailing because surprise,surprise people were watching the Olympics and there is only the same amount of money available to shop and it just was diluted and spread across the week so shops actually mainly suffered because of the increased the costs of staying open and paying staff and in general running costs.

And so there does not appear to be the enthusiasm for opening for longer on Sundays for the foreseeable future...and business on the internet fared no better and saw a dip or business much the same as usual.

Anyone remember the days when many shops used to close for half a day in the middle of the week usually on a Wednesday? The only problem  with was it usually meant the shop worker really only had one and half days off weekly rather than two days as most other workers do...when I worked in  retail I was lucky that I nearly always managed to get Mondays off so with Sunday it was bit like having the weekend off.

Which was also handy when coming back from  a holiday as you had two days to recover before going into work or you could have a couple of extra days holiday.

Sadly, I think retail will suffer like other businesses, perhaps it will become worse, I know the money I have goes mainly to charity shops and supermarkets/discount food stores. A big retailer on the radio has just said there is less money and where people might have purchased a few items they'll perhaps buy one and make it last. There is even a suggestion that we have too many shops altogether.And another problem is where many are located especially if you don't have access to your own transport and depend on buses and taxis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home