My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, June 22, 2012

That's My Last Little Shop For Awhile...

Money is really tight now and no money was waiting for me at the Post Office. I have plenty of food, milk, fruit, bread etc...I tried to avoid using more than one taxi but had to give in and use two. But if I don't go out for a few days in a way I can get that back because I won't need to order a taxi. Having to pay to get my garden done is added expense I suppose but spread over the year and when the weather doesn't force everything to grow and get out of hand and as the rain means it can't be done.

It's still horrible out there, the only good thing is that the strong winds are blowing the rain clouds away but I don't fancy battling against the winds. Even with double glazing I can feel the wind getting into the rooms(This house was actually warmer with ordinary single glass but they insisted installing it. So very soon I may dive under the duvet and listen to Friday Night Is Music night or as I am recording that I may go for some political banter on Radio 4's Question Time.

I'll concentrate on the house work if I am not going out for a few days and who would want to if they don't have to. I got some strong bin bags at last so I can get back to clearing the outhouse. Basic items cost so much!








I have enough mugs, bowls and plates but I treated myself to a big cup and saucer in blue and white normally £3(on sale for £2)and I may use it when I have a can of soup or a cup of soup. As long as I don't break it, it should last a long time.


Since Mum passed away I have misplaced my cutlery...I know, I thought that too, where could it disappear to? 


It will turn up but though not fancy I managed to get a box of forks, knives, teaspoons and dessert spoons(16 pieces)for £1.79, it's good enough for me and as there's only me, there's plenty of spare items. I can't see me entertaining.I either eat in the lounge using a table a bit like those you see in the hospitals that go across the beds or just take everything upstairs as most meals are simple and eaten quite quickly.


For £2.79 some screen cleaner of computer screens(PC and Laptop)its a spray but also has a micro fibre cloth. The best deal I have seen before that was a few wipes and a smaller container of cleaner for nearer £7 and wasn't going to last that long.

I haven't bought any sweets for a while so I got a packet of Butterscotch and in a local newsagents they had 4 Double Decker Bars for £1 and 4 Wispa Gold Bars for £1.


As it's a roll over, I risked a lucky dip on the Euro millions draw tonight. I only do it occasionally and when it starts to build up a little. I don't buy the UK lottery.

I hope should I ever win I will win a decent sum that means I will be ok and there are certain charities and people on here who I see as my friends I would like to surprise too. I doubt it will happen but if it ever does it will be a pleasant surprise.




I should try out the halogen oven or the combi microwave but I am going to risk putting the electric oven on sometime next week to cook a chicken(I managed to get a little one for myself)for £2.33 and I should get a couple of meals out of it and perhaps some sandwiches or a salad. I hope it won't cost too much in electric to cook it. Then again when the time comes I may try the new gadgets I purchased.




I bought some quick snacks that I can make quickly in a mug(if you buy them in the freezer shop/Wilkinson's)you can sometimes get them cheaper or two for a 90p/£1 whereas one in the supermarket might cost nearly a £1 for one. Mugshots and Pot Noodles.


Purchased some tomatoes and grapes(Green and red one's)the green were on offer(£1)but there were no red on offer so I had to pay £2.25 or do without, whilst I can afford them I bought them, in the future I may I have to think again. Truth is they were out of the cheaper red one's.


I found some mini Melton Mowbray mini pork pies(10 for £1.50)half price so they should go well with a salad.Freezer shop had some Butter Puffs in for 70p(in the supermarket I think they cost around £1.39)When I came home I had my first meal of the day...A big bowl of Tesco Cranberry Wheats(I've not had them before)and they're not bad if soaked in milk and I added banana, blueberries, strawberries, red and green grapes.


I managing to use some fresh semi skimmed milk as opposed to the long life milk but because it's filtered it still has quite a long date on it and if in a fridge that is working right when opened it lasts quite a few days.
Not sure what I will have later, possibly a salad and a couple of small pork pies...if I have that 


I will not come to any harm. The pies have just gone over the sell by date but I'll risk them, few things go off that quick and they've been in the fridge so they've been kept cold. There was eight in the packet and that means I've eaten four but that's better than throwing out eight.


I'm about to try a Chicken and Mushroom Pot Noodle, don't know if I've had one of those before...


Still thinking more of Mum at present and what's hitting me more is the fact that I will never see her again. But that's life and I can't change it. Tomorrow, I may feel as different again. I suppose this is all part of the grieving process. You'll get good and bad periods.


(Apologies about the layout of this post I have tried to fix it many times and no joy)

6 Comments:

Blogger crl2amb said...

Have you ever tried to shop online Anthony. Just wondered if it might save you all those taxi fares, but I appreciate you do need to get out too. Maybe once a month you could get some basics in. I love UHT milk though my visitors dont!

You would be a very strange character if you did not think about your Mum. No, you can't change it, but neither should you want to, after all she was an is still so important to you.

I don't know what you mean when you say no money was waiting for you at the po. Do you mean your benefits had not come through?

I see Nat West has caused a lot of problems. We are so utterly dependent on the banking system, it is frightening.

When my son was tiny, one day I told him I had no money and he said "Well, just go to the Post office and buy some"! Such innocence.

Hope you have an ok evening.

I feel horrible. I had a cake today, millionairs shortbread and it made me ill, I am definitely allergic to wheat or gluten or something. It has ruined my night as I feel so billious.

I'll email soon.

Cx

22 June 2012 at 20:21  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Carol, Yes, I used to shop on line and may again, especially if in the future money gets even tighter as it may.

I like the story about your son :-)

Yes that's right regarding the post office.

I'm ok with UHT milk and I usually have some milk powder in the house too.

I guess if you have the basics...bread, milk, eggs, cereal and fruit. You'll be able do something. A few tins of soup, baked beans is a good idea. I like to have some salad items in too but if I had to choose just one I would always have tomatoes.

Some sliced meat is handy as you can make sandwiches or add it to a meal(salad or a Sunday type lunch)

Naturally, potatoes are a great vegetable because you can do them so many ways.

In the end we probably end up with a list of meals and snacks that are moved around but don''t change a lot.

I am sorry that what should have been a treat had the opposite effect. Is there anything that you can take for it?

Thanks for your input about Mum. I bumped into someone when shopping and he was sad for me but said that he still misses his Mum after 12 years. OK some children don't have a good relationship with their Mum but most are fortunate and it is a special relationship and bond between mother and child.

Ant x

22 June 2012 at 20:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had the same thoughts about 'not seeing them ever again' after pets and people dear to me have passed away,I managed to square it with myself knowing that we are all going there at some point, and a thought for all the millions of people that come and gone,all the hopes and fears they shared but ultimately the majority of these lives gone unrecorded and unnoticed in the life of the universe.
I read something Tony Curtis had said. He had visited (recently)the first house he had stayed in when he first went to Hollywood and although fifty odd years had passed, he felt it was the same day he had arrived and all the money and fame he had got after had just been in his imagination and had not really happened.

23 June 2012 at 00:10  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

That's very interesting Anon. It shows that we all(well many of us)have similar thoughts and it's natural to do so.

I have said before, Mum said that when all was well and she always added the difference is after thinking such thoughts whether you can put them to one side and think of other things.

When they take over and dominate how you feel. And you can't let go. That's whenn you need help.

What you also say about best part of us leaving this world doing good but not being recorded or noticed is true.

It is a comfort that Mum appears to have been well liked and when ill the staff at the Nursing Home commented on how she always thanked them for what they did and in hospital the same again and she managed to make them laugh.

Even when she received Radio Therapy everyone took to her. I am not exagerating. It hurts that such a person has to go.

I hope we will all meet up again(Mum had a strong faith that never waived)My Father was the same. I was blessed to have two wonderful parents. That gives comfort but also is why it hurts so much. It leaves a void.

I have always found comfort in faith(Mum used to do some wonderful prayers and I felt safe with her as old as I was, I felt as though nothing could harm me and like a child again but at present I have found my faith has left me and I feel when the time comes that could be it.

Even believers and people who are involved in religion as a profession are torn and find themselves having doubts.

A Bishop has been doing a series on Radio 4(Still available as a download)about this called Honest Doubt.

Now there's where I could panic but there's no point, I've slept well and felt calm. But I woke and my first thought was the thought of being alone with strangers either in hospital or a nursing home, knowing I am dying and knowing there is no one that knows me like Mum or Dad.

I know it's a journey you make and you will always be alone but that panicked me. But again none of us can change it. Please I hope that I die peacefully in my sleep and don't know or suddenly so I don't have to dwell on it. In my own home would be nice.

I think Mum's passing was as peaceful as it could be and I was present even if I missed the actual minute.

I get the impression it was peaceful for my Father too though his last 12 hours were in a hospital room on his own. Perhaps I should draw comfort from that.

23 June 2012 at 10:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They say somebody only dies when they are forgotten.
I read an article in an agony aunt column today about a woman who lost her Mum a few months ago.She was getting all these terrible feelings and did not know how to cope.She had been referred to 'some experts' and IIRC she had been offered medical help.The agony aunt seemed annoyed and more or less said that medical help is the last thing she needed,as she was going through the grieving process which was entirely natural and should be left as be, as she will make her own way through the dark valley and there will be light at the end of it.

24 June 2012 at 00:04  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I like your take on this anon,

There is a lot uderstanding in what you say.

You are right about keeping someone alive by thinking and talking of them.

The agony aunt may also be right, "We"(society)and the medical profession are probably too quick to offer tablets or rush you through a natural process and it takes as long as it takes.

Life does go on but it's as if they say within hours that "you should be over that!"

Each person should be cut some slack.

Employers are the worst at rushing you. For some throwing yourself back into life works, it's an individual thing, go back too soon, you may pay for it later.

There is plenty of time for the professionals to step in if they feel it's time to worry but they should be happier to see you do it without drugs if you can(even though they have their use)You'll be all the stronger for it.

If you can suffer depression for so many reasons, I think the loss of a loved one should be high on the list.

Thank you.

24 June 2012 at 03:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home