My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, June 15, 2012

I'm A Killjoy!

I know if the Olympics were not happening in July in London the money it is costing would not be put towards good and worthy causes. They would argue the redirected money would not make a dent in clearing our debt or perhaps helping the NHS or other worthwhile causes.

There is enough money or could be to continue to support those who require welfare and care. Its just they keep spending it on causes that are suspect. Its right to give foreign aid but some of the countries and causes are suspect and often I think it is done for political reasons, so favours can be called in...

And with our economy struggling sometimes you have to look after your own.

It's different if a natural disaster happens. But some countries claim poverty but find money to invest in a space or a nuclear programme. Something suspect or questionable.

So it is still a bit obscene to read that the opening ceremony at the Olympics is going to cost £27 million, it is said that with the closing ceremony added the cost will be a total of £81 million.

This cost should be absorbed by the sponsors that like to have their names associated with the games not from the taxpayers.

Did anyone ask the UK Population if they wanted the games? It seems very much a case of  Governments saying "We think we should have the Olympics!" "And you're going to have them whether you want them or not. And you're going to enjoy them!"

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you are a killjoy!

15 June 2012 at 19:08  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thank you, it's only my opinion, its not obligatory to agree and if you enjoy them, fantastic! What my post basically says let the big corporations that are sponsoring the event pay.

On Sunday when the torch passes through the town I think if you are lucky you may get a keyring as a van goes by...not much compared to the millions its costing.

Oh and Atos the private company the Government is using that fails many genuine people who are ill and usually on appeal many people get their benefits re-instated are sponsoring the paralympics which has annoyed quite a few people.

15 June 2012 at 21:08  
Blogger Span Ows said...

hahaha, sorry Gildy, just laughed out loud at the first comment. Hope all is well.

15 June 2012 at 23:06  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hi Span,
Considering where we are, I'm doing well I suspect but I don't like it! So far I don't think I am depressed ao that's a positive.

I'm living for the day...

15 June 2012 at 23:59  
Blogger crl2amb said...

I'm happy to be a killjoy. I think the Olympics is a load of old cobblers. Someone can jump higher or run faster than someone else - whoopie doo. My tv will be switched off and I shall get on with some things I do enjoy.

Make no mistake the whole thing will be an embarrassment. And also, has anyone heard that awful song by Gary Barlow and those war wives or whatever they are - it is so cringeworthy? As if the Olympics is going to bring about global peace!!

To think we are in such a global mess and all this money is being spent on people who like running and jumping is totally ludicrous, and another sign of the obscenity of money in this crazy effed up world.

End of rant.

Killjoy and proud of it.

Cx

PS why being positive is considered of more value than being negative is crazy too. They are just human emotions and only a robot or moron would be positive in the face of all the barmy stuff going on at the moment.

End of second rant. ;)

16 June 2012 at 00:23  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Carol,

I question whether we really have a democracy, its as close as we are going to get but when there is so little difference between Labour, Lib Dems and Conservative what choice is there?

And with the make up of Parliament everything is just bulldozed through. No system is perfect but our system really is messed up. I don't remember it ever being as bad as it is now.

I am sure it is possible to avoid the Olympics and there will be so much material repeated over and over again...I have avoided the football so far and found it easy to do so...

I'm not stopping others enjoying it but again I am questioning who is paying for it especially as you have said Carol at such a difficult time with the economy.

16 June 2012 at 00:47  
Blogger crl2amb said...

Have to admit I was shrieking for England to win, as my son was watching it. I have always thought of them as a bunch of prima donnas, more concerned with their bank accounts and getting their chests waxed, but due to a couple of very apparently nice young players, finally the England team made us proud!! Yay,

Cx

16 June 2012 at 12:35  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Secretly, I did check the score on here even though I wasn't watching or listening and it is good to see that we won...

Of course just because I won't be watching the olympics it doesn't mean I would not like to see those representing team GB to do well.

16 June 2012 at 12:46  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

We're being told that Wayne Rooney will make the difference when our next match happens, I hope that the opposite isn't true...

16 June 2012 at 14:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home