My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, June 15, 2012

Some Time Ago...

we were talking about a  blog that showed images and comments about the school dinners being served up. It's had a lot of positive feed back and most of the time the person running the blog has been positive with her comments. A few days ago she had been  invited to take part at some kind of event with a famous Scottish TV cook Nick Nairn. He also writes articles about food, has a cookery school and a restaurant.

The news on the radio has just said that she has been told to stop taking photo's by the local council. Then again I think many premises have the right to restrict what can/cannot be done on what is private property and I think some will feel uncomfortable that images are being taken in a school even though in this case it is not of pupils and is an inanimate object.

But as I read it there is nothing to stop the blogger describing the food without an image so I would be tempted to continue and hopefully some images could still be posted of meals from abroad. The council could have used this blog to its advantage and given themselves good publicity, doing this has caused the opposite reaction.

Never Seconds

Update:The ban has been lifted and the blog can continue as before and the representative for the council on the radio says there was an overreaction and the problem may have originally been caused at the school. But also due to an article and headline that appeared in Scottish newspaper and the young girl should not be blamed for what the press decide to write.

There could also be a discussion about the quality of the meals sometime soon.

As yet the blog has not been started again by the blogger even though she's been told "Go Ahead!" but the money that was being raised for a food charity in Africa had gone through the roof so the publicity caused by the council has done some good. And money has been raised that might not have been as much or it would have taken much longer to raise. There is talk that it will finance a new kitchen or a few for years into the future to feed many more African children. Its past £75,000. I think the charity helps children all over the world not just Africa.

Looking at another article from the Daily Mirror I would not fancy the meals featured and some of the lunch boxes and meals shown from abroad look better than what is being served up. As I say on later post I did Jersey potatoes, sliced pork, a portion of frozen veg)sweet corn, spinach, peas and broccoli and gravy which cost approx £1.50 and she's being charged £2 for her meal.

Even a can of soup can be purchased at around 50p or less and you can always give an simple desert for 50p or less.Or a variety of fruit. If they are buying in bulk I don't understand why school dinners are so poor and I don't necessarily think to improve them we need to increase the price.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Doctor's surgeries use expensive phone numbers because people seem a bit delicate these days? and keep phoning them unnecessarily.
I know someone who will get a perscription for asperin, when its about 20p a box at Tesco.

16 June 2012 at 09:00  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I don't know how widespread the use of these numbers are but as I said most surgeries around here don't use such services.

And now I can access via the net I don't plan to. I wish I did not have to have any regular contact myself.

But I have to arrange my blood tests and now the transport to get to the hospital. Watching the pennies etc...

16 June 2012 at 12:32  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Of course these comments are in reply to the previous blog entry.

16 June 2012 at 13:10  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I now have access to the surgery website but sadly the one thing I wanted(to arrange appointments with the nurse for my bloods)cannot be done via the internet!

So I have asked the practice manager if this facility can be added but also asked if I will still have to phone in or turn up at the surgery in person...if I have to that's still a bit of a nuisance.

16 June 2012 at 14:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home