My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

I Never Realised Until Recently...

when I did it myself, just how many people have a store cupboard filled with basics food wise and for cleaning the house. And if you choose wisely and know you are buying items that you will eat and has a good date on it, its worth thinking of stocking up. And many items will last even longer if its a best before date rather than a use by date.
I have the biggest variety of cereals and porridge I have ever had in my life. And lately there have been some very good offers on own brands(just as good as the well known brands)some where you buy one and get one free or even some half price.

I did my good deed yesterday whilst in the supermarket I saw a shopper buying Tesco's Fruit and Fibre cereal 500g at £1.20 for another 5p there was a box containing 750g.

If you like Hayward's strong pickled onions they are usually £1.89 for one jar, now you can have two jars for £2. So if you are going to use such items it's worth having a few stored up. These are ok until December 2013.

The other day I saw a bottle of cider at £2.09 but the same brand and just slightly smaller(not enough for it to make a difference to me)was available for £4 if you purchased four cans instead making them £1 each that's four drinks for the equivalent of two of the bottles and in reality you get more for your money. Almost double.

Some items in the budget range of goods will always be at a low price but the bargains are there if you look for them and many have a long shelf life and if they have best before dates they'll probably last even longer. I don't worry too much about dates, only on dairy and some meat or fish products am I little more careful.
Get this, I usually buy disposable razors for shaving, Wilkinson's Sword, ten for approx £2.50. I have just purchased from the Tesco "Everyday" range their razors.  The price? Five for 13p and the verdict after shaving today...it's as good as the more expensive alternative. And it had to cope with with three of four days growth.

Even, if I had to use one each day that's a bargain. That means I can buy approx one hundred and twenty for the price I'd pay for ten. Or in another way if I purchased the same amount by Wilkinsons Sword it would cost me £30. That's quite a saving.

As I update this post it's day two since I shaved and the whiskers have hardly come through so it shows what a close shave I had.

As the Money Savings Expert website says though obviously if a well known brand is reduced or there is a good BOGOF on such items, go for it but don't buy a well known brand just for the sake of it, a lot can be saved. And more than ever I have found the ingredients are virtually the same.

Take a look at this, it's a bit of fun...The Downshift Challenge

Some competition is coming because the new Aldi store is finally being built but we have to wait until late 2013 for it to open. I think that it will do very well either because the food range will be good but cost less or the big supermarket Tesco's close by may have to reduce some items to stop shoppers going to the new retailer. A taxi driver today says he thinks at the rate they are building it, it could be trading in November/December of this year...I hope so...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home