My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Biggest Criticism Of The Olympics...

that I have picked up on when out and about is that it should be self financing and advertisers(sorry sponsors)should pay for the privilege of being associated with the event. Any money that is generated or perhaps a percentage of the profit could be handed over to the Government of the country that hosts it in a particular year. The Olympic organisation must be making something out of it to afford all the arranging of each event and to pay the members of the committee and other positions to run such a big set up.

One of the sponsors in the UK is a bank that was all but Nationalised and bailed out with British Tax Payers money during the recent recession which is still going on and will seemingly for years and whilst they can pump money into the Olympics many in the population are struggling to survive from day to day to live and pay their bills.

The bank and government will probably claim that it is good publicity and what has been spent is a drop in the ocean but everyone knows the names of the banks, most people have a bank account(but the interest is so low and if you save and hit hard times, having savings penalises any help you may need in help from the state)you might ask why have an account and then some don't have one so they could care less to know a bank is sponsoring something.

There still seems little enthusiasm around here for the event and most seem to e saying they won't be watching or at best if it's on the tv when they happen to be in the room they might watch a little but not specifically because they are interested.

And now an allegation has been made in the newspapers about how tickets have been sold by Olympics officials, you don't want that at any time but certainly not within weeks of the event happening. They still try to cling to the ideal that the Olympics are an amateur event but it becomes more difficult to see it that way.

London Olympic Tickets

2 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

Hi Gildy. I'm home again - and very tired. I feel as if I need another holiday to get over the first one!

I so agree about the Olympics. I've been disillusioned from the beginning. Already, when we applied, our finances were in a bad way and we couldn't afford to put on the show that is expected. Now, things are so much worse but we still have to go ahead.

Also, I expect nobody is surprised at the 'political' crookedness that's going on. It seems to be the norm now.

Oh dear, I've come back moaning!!

17 June 2012 at 12:05  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Welcome back VQ,
Good to see you, hope you can get some rest and build up the energy now you are home.

That theweather wasn't as bad we heard or feared.

I hope should you read what I have written whilst you were away isn't too downbeat and that I have been reasonably positive.

I may pop out and see the torch pass through my town in approx 3 hours time but that's about as close as I plan to get to anything to do with the Olympics.

Its dull here but so far the rain is holding off. The route its taking means it will be in my town no more than 20-30 minutes if that.

17 June 2012 at 12:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home