My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, May 14, 2012

I'm Not Trying To Sell You Anything...

Just received a phonecall, sounded as though it was coming from an Indian call centre...

Can I speak to Gildy?

Speaking...

How are you today?

Considering my Mum passed away three weeks ago, as best as can be expected.

I'm not trying to sell anything but we are updating energy suppilies in your area...

So what do you want?

How old is your TV?

Why?

The phone goes dead!

If she had not terminated the call I was about to, once I said I had no money and may not be here as I have no idea what's going on with my situation, they weren't interested and hopefully I've been removed from their list of possible clients...They haven't even left a number that can be traced.

I've changed phone companies...I have gone ex directory, so hopefully these calls will once again become few and far between but if they do continue I may ask my new ISP for a new number. I assume that they can give me one.

I have had Sky contact me now, trying to keep me as a customer offering me a new Sky+ box and free installation but still paying £24 approx subscription monthly or free subscription for 6 months with added movies and sports but then I have to pay the subscription again. And if I take the first offer up I have to remain with them for a year. The offers are good and I'd love to take them up but in my present situation and the foreseeable future its not likely.

I'm saving nearly £300. That would pay in a normal year my telephone line rental and 24/7 internet. Or go towards a TV license if I have buy one.

The only thing about Sky is the call staff do listen, do not rush off the phone and do sympathise with my situation and you do actually have a conversation. And they come across as human.

9 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

I HATE those phone calls.
They leave you feeling very uneasy, don't they?

You can register with the Telephone Preference Service online. It's free.............

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/whatistps.html

That should stop most unwanted calls. If you do get any, just say that you are registered with the TPS. They can be fined a large amount of money if they call again.

14 May 2012 at 15:09  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Maybe I will have to rejoin the service again...We've done so well for years getting only a few calls, I normally just put the phone down.

After what I said to the caller perhaps they'll leave me alone as they'll realise there's no money here!

Thanks for the link...

14 May 2012 at 15:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These calls are international and out of the hands of the preferential service. I rang them and complained, but I was told they couldn't stop them.

I don't get many now, and none at all from double glazing.

14 May 2012 at 15:25  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Sadly many of them are. I really shouldn't answer them as very few calls will be from anyone I know(No friends/relatives to speak of)but whilst I am still dealing with Mum's situation, it could be...

Its interesting that as I am now ex-directory such calls are asking for Mr Gildy and if they are working off the previous entry, they used to ask for Mum soare they taking pot luck asking for me or do they know what's happened and how?

As now my address has only been in the paper and the one notice about Mum was in a free sheet only available within a three mile radius.

14 May 2012 at 15:35  
Anonymous VQ said...

Perhaps your new ISP has sold your details on or even the undertaker?

14 May 2012 at 18:22  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I hope not but anything is possible...

I must eat, I haven't yet...

I know that I have really paid for the grocereries but I walked down to the supermarket.

I used my vouchers but then could not walk home carrying the shopping so I had to order a taxi but only one way, so that was like £1.50 return so not too bad.

14 May 2012 at 19:17  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I say a relative(she was a sister in law to my Mum's sister)the one that passed away approx a year ago...phoned me today and I mentioned that call and she's been getting them, a Indian/Pakistani accent but I don't know if they are coiming from abroad or an British call centre and they managed to upset my relative and started phoning a lot.

That's not being racist, I have no idea, if they'd had a yorkshire accent or a cockney accent I could use that to try and describe them.

She just puts the phone down on them now...no one has still worked out what they want or what they are selling.

14 May 2012 at 20:11  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'm away to sew the rest of my clothes...

Tomorrow, I may stay in and do some of my work around the house...I don't need any more shopping.

14 May 2012 at 20:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My phone shows who my calls are from if they are named in my personal phone book. The ones I mean are foreign, sound like Indians and it says Internationa. Quiet a few times when I answer, there is a click and then silence. These show International, and I'm told these calls are automated, and are sent along with a lot more numbers, and only one gets through, but all the phones ring.

14 May 2012 at 22:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home