My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, April 07, 2012

What Can Staff Do?

Interestingly, I am allowed to tempt Mum with food but if the staff ask Mum if she wants to eat something and she says "No!" They cannot make Mum eat. Mum said to me she is not off her food or drink as yet. I stepped out of her room briefly to make a phone call.

I found staff had asked if she wanted anything and she only asked for a cup of tea and nothing else but when I mentioned would she would try something with me, she said yes. So perhaps its just as well that I go as regularly as I do...and perhaps I should pop in earlier in the day occasionally.

In one way she gets 24 hour care, in other ways I suspect I'm still doing a fair bit!

It may depend on a trusts attitude/rules and regulations and even the layout of a hospital. Perhaps because of the age it was built but I wasn't impressed with the care Mum got in our local hospital and its not the first time I've heard criticism9you could say people will be critical when they feel their loved ones are involved)but the husband of a friend of Mum's lost his wife approx 6 months ago and his experience in the same hospital of the lack of care for his wife is a catalogue of disasters.

And his son lectures in medical care at a college or university and was originally a nurse. Well, this person has just been in Cornwall where his sister passed away in hospital and though she passed away the whole family say the care she received was superb and they are so impressed they have written a letter into the trust to praise how she was looked after.

I know from what he has said in the past, if they feel able to do this, the care really must have been of a high standard.

Unlike where Mum was initially, this same hospital in Cornwall allowed whoever was visiting to stay with the patient, setting up a bed in the same room and there were no restrictions on how long you could stay with the patient.

More hospitals could learn more about care of both patients and those who that patient means so much to.

After she passed away they were only meant to allow you to make one phone call to relatives to inform what has happened, they allowed him to make five...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home