My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, April 07, 2012

Getting Ready To See Mum Again...

She's underweight still and probably seen as weak medically but Mum is still all for the op and the colostomy if offered and another shot of Radio Therapy but since coming out of hospital and being placed in the home none of this is even mentioned.

But they seem always pleased that Mum has not given up on taking in nourishment in the home. And just maybe that could mean they might reconsider? She did say that her bottom was sore last night.

I'm not surprised.

I wish that I could think of other things that I could give Mum to eat and drink, she must get tired of the same old selection. Then again, the home only offers a few things...eggs, mousse, milk shakes, tea, coffee, yogurts, soup, sponge cake. And I don't do much better.

I usually have mousse, complan, tea, coffee, soup, milk shakes, fruit juice, smoothies, biscuits, eggs, yogurts, soup, chocolate, much the same selection when you look at things. I need items high in calories or that can be fortified to build her up.

5 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

It seems you've already thought of everything, Gildy.

I've been surfing to see if I could add anything. I found this ....

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Livingwithandaftercancer/Eatingwell/Thebuilding-updiet/Overview.aspx

But it adds very little to what you already do.

I've been thinking about what I might like if I were in your mum's position. I thought I'd like some peaches, canned in syrup and pureed perhaps with a little cream or creme fraiche added.

I hope you found her a bit brighter today.

7 April 2012 at 14:53  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Nice idea VQ...

Mum had another day in bed but a friend who has been a nurse in a London hospital/nursing home and also did some work for the Marie Curie charity says that getting up daily is overated and sometimes if you are comfortable and wish to stay in bed its not necessarily a bad thing.

It can help stop fluid on the lung though, so some moving around/sitting up can be a good thing.

I also think I know why someimes Mum does not respond to me early in the evening(as tonight I was trusted to give Mum her medication)because some new people had come in and they were getting near the end of their shift. So they were rushing around...

There are a few tablets to soften stools and I assume the idea is to avoid hard stools hurting and morphine, codeine and paracetemols can cause constipation.

But amongst the selection of tablets was an anti depressent and a sleeping tablet.

Mum said to me she did not need them and Mum was sleeping so soundly and relaxed(I didn't think so either so...dare I admit...I did not give them)

To be honest they never give the codeine/paracetomols as late as they did tonight either. This probably explains why Mum is so zonked out so early in the night.

It probably makes life easier for them.

I couldn't get as much as I usually do into Mum but there's always tomorrow.

I hope to be there earlier tomorrow so we can listen to Mum's favourite music show on the radio.

Mum was painfree except between 7pm and 8.30pm and it took a while for the morphine to kick in...

She did manage some tea, a healthy yogurt drink(I put Mum's crushed paracetemols into that)and a little bit of scrambled eggs and cheese(it was less than I wanted her to have but...)

There's always tomorrow.

7 April 2012 at 23:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soreen malt loaf is a very old favourite for energy,now available in lots of flavours.
A very flesh one will be soft and squiggyand dissovle in the mouth.

7 April 2012 at 23:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

That's a thought Anon...thank you!

What am I like?

I thought I'd taken the mashed potato with added minced turkey and when I came home tonight I thought I'd left it at the home...guess what, I had taken the gravy granuals and flask of hot water but left the food at home in the kitchen...

7 April 2012 at 23:28  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Get this...I was talking to a member of staff who was on duty tonight but was this particular night that I mentioned about Mum's medicatiion...

We had a long chat and its been commented on about how close we are and...she admitted that last night she was worried about Mum and how sleepy she was.

Now what would Mum have been like if I'd given "All" the medication?

Its like tonight, I was allowed to administer the morphine. I am told that they only give a mild dose(usually 2.5 ml)but the syringe had 5ml in it. I only gave Mum 2.5ml and she lost the pain virtually immediately and still had no pain when I left at 11pm.

I was late tonight because Mum's only pain was a leg cramp and I had to massage her calf(sp?)to lose it but Mum was comfortable, calm and happy when I left her.

And I was with Mum for approx 8 hours(now here's a thing)last night I gave her all those tablets...as far as I am aware she was given nothing during my time in the home.

9 April 2012 at 00:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home