My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, April 02, 2012

How Many People Are Prisoners In Their Own Homes...

Either due to illness and/or economic reasons?

Even if you could save, you daren't because your financial help will be taken away and its hard to get it back again. If you receive state help you are frightened that if you look as though you are having a good period(and temporary)the same thing could happen and you never know if someone is watching and going to phone some "Shop a scrounger" phoneline.

Then, its so easy to spend the money that you receive...I mean today I'm off to do a small shopping trip(I live only a few streets from the supermarket)but I am so slow and I will struggle so much I will have to use a taxi and that will add £6(return)to what I buy. And once I visit Mum at the home that's another £10 so today that will be £16 in taxi fares alone. If I walk I'll pay for it later.

Use a bus? I'd have to walk to the bus route, be restricted on the times the busses are available etc...

It's difficult.

3 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

I thank God every day that the house we bought nearly fifty years ago had (and still has) a bus stop outside.
I can manage to get on the bus which drops me outside the supermarket. Then I just about get around the shop while clinging onto the shopping trolley, then back on the bus and home.
If the bus stop was a couple of streets away, I wouldn't get out at all.

I don't know how far away your bus stop is, Gildy, but you could look up the timetable online and make a note of the times (and hope that the driver sticks to them!).
You're obviously spending so much on taxi fares at the moment.
I feel certain that you would be entitled to some help.
As I mentioned before, you could have got help while visiting your mum in hospital so I wonder if that would also apply while she is in the home. Why not?
Also, I don't want to pry, but you might be entitled to free public transport because of your illness.
It's worth looking into.
Hope you both had a good day today.

2 April 2012 at 19:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to pick up in the car some certain meds from the hospital the other day. The £3.50 per hour car park was full,so my 20 minute collection cost me a parking ticket, not to mention that fuel had gone up at the local station becaues all those idiots had been bulk panic buying about a strike that may or may not happen yet.
Christ knows where we are all heading!

2 April 2012 at 23:53  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

What's that saying about "We're all going to hell in a hand cart!"

When I complain about my lot I sometimes feel guilty, heaven knows, so many are suffering, will suffer or have, I am one of so many. Why not me? Why should I be different?

I said elsewhere about the situation many are in regarding the assesments to be entitled to help(not just the unemployed)but those who are ill/disabled.

How the criteria has changed and they've moved the goalposts.

Heck, even a member of the mental charity Mind has resigned from a panel that advises the Government about the tests being held because they are unfair/inadequate(sp?)the new tests don't have any way to take into account pain, fatigue etc...

They judge how ill you/fit for work are by asking if you can pick up a pencil or do you watch Eastenders! And the same 15 questions are asked and you can only answer "Yes" or "No"

Radio 5 tries to cover the story last evening but the presenter struggled to cope with the topic(They always do)he did not want to give people caught up in the new tests an easy ride so people could not say fiddlers were being "Let off!" but equally the horror stories he was told meant that he had to try and be sympathetic!

And of course they always dig out some academic who works for some kind of Think Tank who has radical ideas and probably has no experience of life at the bottom of the pile where you are desperate.

I do worry.

At least having had my bloods taken today I am up early so may get to see Mum sooner and spend more time with her.

I was talking to a shop assistant in town and she saidsshe always regretted not bringing her Mum home and back into her own surroundings.

I may have to reconsider Mum's care and see if she'd be better back here with me.

If we have that long...I hope that we do.

I even worry that if I am called in and reassessed I may not have the time I have now with Mum. I don't want to have less time with her, our time together is precious, I want as much as possible.

3 April 2012 at 11:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home