My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

I Think That I Am Going To See Mum At The Chapel Of Rest...

I have never done that with anyone else.

But how much harder can it be having seen Mum pass away and also identifying Mum's body for the sake of the Post Mortem?

I found a lovely two piece that Dad always called a Sue Ellen outfit similar to what that character wore in the TV series "Dallas" it is lovely and delicate and is mainly in blue with a pattern I think is gold(I forget what they represent)I'll try and remember when I see Mum again. It has a white collar and white cuffs(the buttons on the cuffs are missing)but that doesn't matter now...I also supplied Mum's nail varnish, lipstick and make up.

For Mum's dignity and because they said a low collar may mean seeing where they cut her open around the throat I gave a white scarf/cravat with black or it might be dark brown spots. I'd have liked to have given Mum better shoes but there was a pair in a kind of green colour with those kind of straps you pull across and stick with Velcro.

I had nothing to put in the coffin with Mum but though I might've liked to keep them as a keepsake I decided to put my last Mother's Day Card in with her in which I think I said "With All My Love, You Mean The World To Me!" and a little bear that sits in a kind of little paper carrier which says "I Love You!"

Just a little gesture from me saying how much I loved her and what she meant/means to me and always will.

5 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

...and a lovely gesture too, Gildy.
You amaze me. So thoughtful and sensitive. You're a very special person.
I hope you've remembered to eat today.

26 April 2012 at 19:00  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Just heard Jim Reeves on the radio..."He'll have to go" I stuck with it but Mum loved his music so much, it was hard...

I don't think its getting any easier. Perhaps I'm too thoughtful and sensitive but I can't change myself, its who I am and my parents probably made me that way.

Early days...its still raw...

I have not been as good as I should have...A bottle of pop and a portion of chips...

I'll try and do better later, I promise. Time passes and I don't realise that it has and I'm not hungry but I know that I have to do something about that.

To some extent cooking is a chore at present. Maybe I'll have a can of soup.

I feel that I am going through the motions...but I must show strength of character. I can't change anything and it could be a long miserable time ahead if I don't try.

I might feel a little better if I knew what my financial situation will be...but even if I am ok now...its going to get harder in October next year when the changes come in.

But there we are again, looking ahead. When you are sent worrying documents by your Landlord its hard not to.

Thanks VQ...

26 April 2012 at 19:50  
Anonymous VQ said...

Gildy, it's VERY early days yet.
Less than a week.
Don't be hard on yourself. You have done so well and are continuing to do so.
Just concentrate on the things that have to be done first e.g. the funeral, then changing things from your mum's name to yours.
One day at a time. You'll get there.

The Jim Reeves thing made me smile.
Now is the time when you really can do as you like.

26 April 2012 at 20:21  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I can see how that came across there :-) It sounds as though I found it difficult because it was Jim. No, it was just that it was a favourite and to be honest though to some JR's music may seem bland I quite like it too.

My tastes are very wide.

26 April 2012 at 20:46  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

It is early days...and now Mum's age is known I guess some will say "It's a good age" but until that cancer happened she was doing fine and it shows how strong she was in coming through a fall down the stairs and a hip op.

And to some extent how often Mum came back fighting even with what seemingly took her in the end.

Of course age would've taken Mum in the end but you do wonder how much longer she could have had. When she had her hip op she did say she felt that she was a long liver, we managed approx another three and a half years.

28 April 2012 at 12:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home