My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, March 09, 2012

Watching The Pennies...

know when I am alone money will be tight. Wages paid for any job I could find myself doing will be low, I would not expect nor want to work more than part time. Should I continue to fit the criteria where I receive help because of health conditions, I will have to be thrifty and many things seen as usual items in the supermarket trolley will not be purchased.

For someone who loves music it is so difficult to have to give up purchasing the odd CD here and there. If I am lucky and because I tend to look at the back catalogues of artists, I am fortunate that some titles come onto the market offering perhaps three CD's for £3-£5 or mp3's for download and big companies have the clout to offer some real bargains. Today I found 114 songs of Doris Day's 1950's output for £4.99. With what I already have, I have a fair representation of her work so don't need to buy any more.

In reality the price of CD's(£8-£9)is quite low for new titles(and I remember some vinyl titles)costing £5-£10 decades ago.

However, I have ordered a 90 track Box CD set of all of Bobby Vee's singles output including some rarities(and alternative Stereo versions of some songs)Frank Sinatra's only album produced and recorded in the UK of British songs(Including some written by Noel Coward and Ivor Novello)and a reissue of a 1957 album of Louis Armstrong with pianist Oscar Peterson(which has 6 bonus tracks)So that's 119 tracks for approx £20.

A few weeks ago I treated myself to Lionel Richie's new CD where he rerecorded some of his old songs with "New" Country singers and a collection Gilbert O'Sullivan's Greatest Hits.


As an aside, years ago a song where an artist on a rival label was difficult to arrange because of a alack of cooperation between them has virtually stopped being a problem(probably because most of the labels are owned by only one or two big companies)but it does make you wonder how they arrive at their choice of performers to appear the artist whose name is selling an album. How much free choice exists.


I expect on Richie's album Tuskagee the two tracks that will get most radio airplay/publicity will be Lady with Kenny Rodgers and Endless Love with Shania Twain. Having said the album has many "New" country acts, the two I have mentioned feature two established Country stars that could be called "Older" acts and certainly that is true of Willie Nelson who is on another song. Nelson in recent years has done a fair bit of dueting...Tony Bennett, Ray Charles, Iglesias and Frank Sinatra.

Interesting that Richie decided that Shania Twain was the right one to do Endless Love with second time around.

I have such wide appreciation of music, it can make it difficult to decide what to buy. Does my choice of music add to your perception of me?

Over the years I have mentioned some of the music I have purchased or enjoy and I think its been quite varied.

The problem is just as I decide to buy something, a site like Amazon bring to my attention something else that I'd love to buy. But of course that's what they hope will happen but they do have a wider choice than local shops and the nearest "Real" record shop is 7 miles away.

2 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

It sounds as if you have plenty of music to keep you going for quite a while. When you want a change, there's always You Tube, various radio stations and the library (my local library lends CDs and DVDs as well as books - I wonder if yours does too)so you never need to be without something different to listen to.
In any case, don't forget that, when my lottery numbers come up, I've promised you a music library!!

10 March 2012 at 09:13  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

VQ, A great idea! I may have to look at joining the library again(How many times have I done that?)

And think about lending/borrowing CD's from there and see if they still have as big a CD selection as they once had(even if they have to ordered specially for a larger fee)

There used to be Music libraries that you could borrow from by mail order...do they still exist?

I can quite understand why teenagers used to share their music and then got into downloading for free from websites.

I still think if the price is right and if you hear something for free, it can and does encourage you to buy more legal music.

Over the years I have purchased more music than many I suspect.

I haven't counted how CD's I own but looking in my bedroom as I write this I have three colums of CD's on top of each other that reach from the floor to the ceiling.

99% of which are now on my PC and on hard drives(in case there is a crash)and been burned to CD again for the same reason.

The Hi-fi went ages ago. So I could get rid of the original CD's but again, I still like having the originals.

If I no longer could afford the PC I know they'll play on a CD player.

The good thing about a pc is you can put the music on shuffle, choose a playlist or pick the tunes individual and they come up immediately.

The music can last as long as you want but a CD at best lasts aroun60-80 minutes.

10 March 2012 at 10:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home