My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, March 01, 2012

People Pass Away All The Time...

But there has been for as long as I can remember the idea that things happen in three's so when two British comedians died recently it was said..."There will be a few nervous comedians out there" and similar was said when Whitney Houston died last month, and on the last day of the month it was Davy Jones of The Monkees.

But hey, how long do you leave the option open to see who might be included in the latest group?

So I was I am afraid waiting some bad news a few minutes ago as Engelbert Humperdink was mentioned on the radio news, after all why else was he getting a mention on the national news? Especially, when they made a point of giving his age(75 years)but as the story went on, it appeared that he is taking part in an event(so I started to think)he was another addition to the concert being staged to celebrate 60 years of our Queen Elizabeth being on the throne.

But no...in May he is to represent the UK in the Eurovision Song Contest!

Good luck to him and I admire his attitude to take part, its been years since we had a decent singer and have won the contest and to be honest the way the contest has changed he probably will not win but it would be great if he could pull it off.

To be honest I don't mind Engelbert, he's a decent singer and I enjoy quite a few of his songs. And he's not been afraid to sing a lot of newer material on his albums and has not relied on the hits he had in the 60's. And I don't see his age as being "Old" and if he is able to perform, good luck to him.

As I have said elsewhere quite a few of the CD's I have purchased of late have been of artists that have decades behind them and who can still carry a tune and know how to adapt so they can still sound good.

2 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

I was amazed too. After all, he's even older than I am! (But only just.)
However, why not? He'll be able to hold a tune and we'll be able to hear the words which is more than can be said of most modern 'singers' - I use the term loosely.
It made me go to my CD rack to find my one Humperdinck cd. It's playing now........ and it's jolly good!

2 March 2012 at 08:44  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Janice Long(DJ)commented about this at the start of her programme as the newsreder had the story in the news and said she doesn't watch the Eurovision.

Its been some time since since I did but made a remark "Does his music represent what Europe is listening to?"

In general can you ever decide such a thing?

Its certainly changed over the years and it is harder to decide what part of society it should aim for...just on age alone.

There have always been novelty, catchy songs like Puppet On A String, Boom Bang A Bang but then Congratulations was a "Pop" song but not a novelty. Then we have songs like What's Another Year from Johnny Logan(for Ireland)which was a ballad.

And I believe there are some of the most famous songs that many would not associate with the contest and have been sung by very famous singers like Dean Martin and Volaré. I think Love Is Blue is another.

Engelbert has continued to tour and in the last year has been to countries such as Romania and Isreal and just because the radio seems to avoid playing their songs they still sell a respectable amount of CD's and fill venues.

The quality of the songs and arrangements also help.

He was 30/31 when Release Me was his first hit(age did not seem to matter as much then?)

I have to admit one of my favourites(a faster one)is Quando, Quando, Quando and I did a quick check and I have 45 tracks of him.

I only purchased my first exclusive Humperdink CD in the last few years.

There is a good CD out at present with lots of his new stuff plus all his hits for anyone wanting to buy their first CD or aquaint themselves with his output(celebrating 45 years in the business)

I'm tempted but I'd be duplicating quite a lot, The Greatest Hits And More is approx £6-£7 and has 41 songs. Not bad.

I could download the tracks I am missing but its actually cheaper to buy the album than just what I haven't already got.

2 March 2012 at 10:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home