My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

This Will Be Mainly About Food...

They brought Mum at teatime, two small sandwiches(Egg mayonnaise and sandwich spread)and a kind of mushy whip soaked in lots of milk for tea. Mum struggled with the sandwiches(leaving one totally) the other I halved and managed to get that inside of her washing it down with a beaker of tea. Mum wasn't keen on that whip either. But you know I manage to do Mum's egg at home in a mixer and it comes out more like a paste that you can spread. I may have a go at seeing if she'll eat mine. Even if its off a spoon.

However, I managed to give Mum her meds and with them and at various times throughout my visit...a complan, an Innocent Smoothie(Apple and blackcurrents)but it also had grapes and banana in it too. And some kind of dairy dessert(vanilla flavour)and cream of chicken soup.

The only thing I did not manage to get her to drink was a cup of whole milk coffee with a little brandy in it! But that's more than they managed. That's still approx 720 calories. There's always tomorrow. She also showed interest in possibly sitting in a wheelchair in the grounds of the home if its a nice day so maybe we'll try that tomorrow if Mum's up for it. I say grounds there are a couple of straggly looking trees and the whole place is just surrounded by a carpark, there isn't any grass!

The saddest part was Mum practically begging me to stay and trying to understand why I cannot stay overnight. And especially when she says "I'm frightened!" It tugs at your heartstrings...I hope Mum sleeps well...and that tomorrow is another good day.

As Anon says if this damn cancer had been diagnosed sooner in comments on the previous post about her Father(we didn't know)and but for this, Mum is pretty fit and probably could've had years ahead. I hope that there is still plenty of time as seriously ill as she is. I know that plenty of others will say this and have already. Where there is life, there is hope. Hope is all that you have in the end.

The booklets that McMillan Nurses charity promised arrived today full of great advice and in the case of diet and recipes to temp someone losing weight/loss of appetite lots of great ideas and if Mum was home I could do them but not when she is in a Nursing Home.

Am I reading too much into the situation but everyone has their name on the door of their rooms in the home...Mum's door doesn't have a name on it.

Oh well, I guess its time for bed.

I found a way to stay very warm in bed last night and avoid turning the central heating on...I slept on a duvet and covered myself in a duvet...if anything I was too warm...

2 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

I hope your mum gets to sit outside for a while today.
Here down south, the weather is really lovely today. I hope it is wherever you are too. There's something about having the sun on your face and hearing the birds twittering that can only make you feel good. Probably better than a pill!

28 March 2012 at 11:16  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I hoped for that but I'm running late again and because I am, I will have an hour less with Mum today than I had yesterday :-(

I am away now...

28 March 2012 at 15:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home