My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Did I Say?

Forgive me if I repeat myself...

When Mum arrived at the home on Monday they managed to have her eat some sandwiches and drink some tea. That was something in itself...

The following day they managed to get Mum into a wheelchair and though I don't know how long she was there, they had her in the lounge and not just laid in bed as she had been in hospital.

I have discovered that the clothes we thought were missing when Mum transferred from hospital did arrive at the home but the wardrobe containing them is in the entrance of the room as you first go in and as you walk down the side of the room to where Mum is that are is very small and it would not fit into the space.

Mum slept reasonably well through the night and they did check on her and see to her needs three or four times.

She was given liquid morphine around 3am(they give paracetamols and codeine during the day)but the dose was less than when I gave it here(and it seemed to have not as much effect)

Mum was then at peace and not restless.

I hope that I find Mum in a similar way today, considering the situation that we find ourselves, its as good as it can be.

It is awful when your Mum says when you arrive "I am dying!" "My time is limited!" and still clinging to the hope that she will see her own home.

She asked me to stay and when I suggested that I would be with her overnight you could see that it meant so much. I think night times are scary and frightening at the best of times and you feel at your most vulnerable and lonely. It doesn't happen often but I can think of nothing worse than when you hear that phone call in the middle of the night and you are woken from your sleep.

I gave my Mum her medicines last evening, I know one was a sedative(sleeping tablet)if I do it again tonight I'll give it a bit later(The first night it came around it was 10.30pm)last night it was 8pm(ish)unless she want's it that early. Given later it will take her further through the night.

There was another I know is to soften her bowls(that was given in hospital)and another was in liquid form and I suspect that could've been paracetamols dissolved. But I don't know. I also gave Mum her medicine for her sore mouth/throat if that improves perhaps she'll manage more nourishment.

The radio works fine. The plug that charges items without having to connect to a computer likewise. I probably don't need it but I'll get that lead that allows me to play the mp3 player through Mum's radio then we're all set.

I hope that Mum will eat today and not refuse food, when that happens things will be bad. And I may very well try and be there for evening meal and see if I can help as I did when she was in hospital.

The home is what it says a private Christian home and there are a few buildings close together. The one which offers nursing care, one that is more like a residential home and then a couple more buildings which may possibly be where worship or some thing else goes on. But the care does seem to be as good as you can get so I should be thankful we have managed to get it.

I guess unless things change suddenly this will be the routine for now and I will not be able to add much to the blog. No news is good news as the saying goes.

I am about to cook a chicken otherwise it will be wasted and by the time it has been it will be time to go and I will now away and buy that lead, a newspaper(I don't usually bother)and whilst I am able my computer magazine.

Take Care...

4 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

You reminded me of a time in 1998 when my oldest sister was dying from lung cancer (blasted cigarettes!).
She had overheard something that she shouldn't have and said to me " am I terminal?".
I'm afraid I chickened out.
I couldn't tell her the truth and I couldn't lie to her so I said, "well, we're all terminal".
She laughed and said "yes, of course we are".
The time eventually comes for all of us and there's never a 'right time'.

Your mum is fortunate in that she will have people around her all the time and, most of all, she has you.

22 March 2012 at 14:06  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Well, once I get my flasks and containers washed out I am away again and ready for another long night. I'd happily hope for many more.

Someone passing by helped me put my wheelie bins back to where there should be and we got talking...his Father passed away a year ago and his Father was cared for at home. He said we can have 24/7 care at home(like him)from the MacMillan Nurses so we'll see what happens, Mum would like to be home but this may be the best option and Mum may not be well enough to leave or be around that long.

But then again, the nurses at the home are kind and they may be able to do things with/for Mum others cannot such as the other day when she was in the lounge for a little while.

As you say VQ there is never a right time and many of us have our own experiences of such upsetting times.

22 March 2012 at 16:06  
Blogger crl2amb said...

Anthony

Just had a chance to catch up with your blog.

It brings backs so many memories. I was not so fortunate as you in that my mother lived in Ireland. She moved back when my dad died in 1976.

Can you imagine the expense of having to fly over there each time she got sick. It was horrible.

Before she died she was put in a home and I remember phoning her and hearing her voice pleading like a little girl "When you come will you take me home?" I am still haunted by the memory.

It is a long story Anthony, but I told her I would come and look after her, I didn't know how but I would have done it.

In the end I did not have the chance as she had to go back into hospital and died there.

What I am trying to say Anthony is that I envy you a little that you have all this time with your Mum - you are so lucky to have each other. I am glad that the home and the staff are treating you both well.

Hope you have a good night.

Carol

22 March 2012 at 20:32  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I thought that they were too Carol but they are not as friendly as they first seemed and remember I asked over and over if they had problems to tell me...

They did when I walked in tonight and its troubled Mum...

See my new post...

I feel for you and why you feel as you do regarding your Mum...

22 March 2012 at 23:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home