My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

It's Funny How You...

Go back to things of the past...

In recent years that's been Comfort Food. The dishes you remember from your childhood perhaps.

When Mum took ill why did I remember about Complan?

And now that I am purchasing Carnations and they are great value(probably the least expensive variety of flowers in the supermarket)but they don't have any plant food attached(all others do)so I went out and purchased some in the hope they'll last a bit longer(they say that they can last 14 days...so far I'd say nearer 7 days)but I purchased some Baby Bio...where you just add a few drops to water, so it should last ages.

And hopefully it will do the trick. It must be decades since we had any of that in the house...and there it is celebrating it's 60th anniversary.

Cut Flower Preservative Recipes

4 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

If you run out of Baby Bio, you can use a teaspoon of sugar or some lemonade.
A friend of mine, who knows about these things, swears by a few drops of bleach in the water but I've never been able to bring myself to do that.
It's a shame that these days, most flowers don't seem to have much of a scent.
Someone recently told me that the rose Prima Ballerina has a wonderful fragrance. I might buy one to plant in a tub by my back door.

26 February 2012 at 14:56  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I wondered about lemonade. A teaspoon of sugar...Yes I guess all these could work. I had heard that an aspirin works? Is there anything aspirin doesn't do? :-)

I'd be interested to see if the rose takes...

I used to love the smell of roses and other flowers like Sweet Peas and Fresia etc...sadly I have little or no sense of smell now so its wasted on me.

26 February 2012 at 15:39  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I have had a quick look on the internet and yes, its quite easy to make your own plant food. You were right about the bleach!

I suppose its still easier to use a prepared food from a shop but...

I've added a link to such information in my main post...

26 February 2012 at 16:22  
Anonymous VQ said...

Yes, I'd forgotten about Aspirin. I've heard that before.
Also, you should take off leaves from the lower part of the stem which is in the water.
I regularly keep carnations for a couple of weeks easily.
Such a shame about sense of smell though, Gildy.

26 February 2012 at 17:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home