My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, February 13, 2012

How News Is Reported...

Whatever your opinion of the news that the singer Whitney Houston has passed away and how. Some may think the coverage is over the top especially so early in the story and when facts are are scarce and there is a lot of speculation.

However, most newspapers and media outlets have mentioned where the incident took place...

In Las Angeles USA at the Beverley Hilton Hotel. So its common knowledge. I think when I first heard the story the BBC mentioned the location too.

Now, for whatever the reason(I know that the BBC try to avoid giving publicity to particular products)to avoid being accused of advertising and often if a company is mentioned they'll issue a disclaimer that "Other similar products are available!"

So now when the story is being mentioned on the radio news they'll say "Whitney's body was found at a hotel room!" or "Whitney's body was found at her hotel!"

It just seems silly when everyone else is saying the name of the hotel and in this context it is part of the detail. I just wonder why the BBC are being so strict in this situation? Also if it has anything to do with guidelines producers have to follow.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Since I wrote my post, a programme on Radio 4, "Feedback" has had a feature where they talked to some head of news at the BBC about the importance given to this story and some figures in the sport of football were given priority over other stories some listeners felt were more important and so these should've been pushed down the running order.

And today my local BBC radio station mentioned the BBC's response to some complaints that had come in about the amount of coverage the BBC's TV news channel had given to the funeral of Whitney Houston.

I think that they gave a robust defense but at last either in error or a change of policy...the presenter mentioned the hotel where WH was found.

22 February 2012 at 16:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home