My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Think I Was Almost Going To Be Scammed...

Some American lady obviously phoning from the States asked to speak to Mum, I said she could not come to the phone so she asked who I was.

I said rather than asking me questions, how about you telling me who you are...

All I got was that she was phoning about a computer.

So I said Mum doesn't have one and(added that Mum is terminally ill)In a way she is(you know you have something that if untreated is likely to get worse)so I added that I was not interested and put the phone down.

I hope that's the end of it. There are so many horror stories out there.

Some are opportunist and just work their way through the telephone book, others are little more clever.

You can bet that whatever they were going to do it would cost money or there would be some kind of threat.

3 Comments:

Blogger crl2amb said...

A hah ha. Love it...."Rather than asking me questions, Why don't you tell me who you are....?"

Good one Anthony.

I hate to be mean to these people...fancy having to do that job! I have pretended to be someone else and say I will fetch "me" as I am in the garden and then just leave the phone down, until they hang up......

C x

15 February 2012 at 11:25  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

We're fortunate that we have very few of these calls the worst was some weeks back where you could only be taken off their cold calling procedure after leaving your details on another number and it could take 28 days for them to take action.

I actually found someone to talk to, he had no knowledge of what was going on and it's rare but I gave him an earful but it got action and we have not been phoned since.

They felt bad because of the hassle it was causing at a difficult time with Mum's illness and I had to answer every call coming in so to get someone trying to sell some kind of policy to extend a warranty on an electrical item was annoying.

15 February 2012 at 12:50  
Blogger crl2amb said...

Not only that Anthony, when you ring they are premium lines. To be honest I think we are being scammed every step we take.

To think you have to spend money to track these people down and have to ask them not to call you!

The so called data protection act has turned out to be the exact opposite.

15 February 2012 at 21:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home