My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, February 27, 2012

I'm Such A Kill Joy...

The Film Academy Awards(Oscars)have taken place overnight. Not only can you no longer watch them live if you want to but I am so uninterested.

It was carried on BBC Radio 5 through the night, well they had various reporters at various sights around LA trying to talk to whoever they could collar.

I heard a few minutes before the ceremony and as I write this have just heard the same person after the event.

How insightful are his interviews and questions? Not at all.

Some actor did a publicity stunt to promote his new movie by spilling fake human ashes over a tv presenter "Live" on US TV. Oh so hilarious. My aching sides. This reporter kept talking about it in such excited tones and sounded like a schoolboy who had seen something slightly "Naughty" happen. He managed to have a quick word with Steve Martin and just wanted to ask him what he thought about the stunt.

Steve had just got out of a car, had no idea what he was talking about and what was he expected to say?

Now he's caught another actress outside of some party and asked something like what do you think about Meryl Streep winning the category of Best Actress? What is she expected to say? She's not likely to say anything negative is she?

And the presenter of the programme then praised the reporter for his coverage and work. I'm happy I missed it all and I wonder if it would be as funny if he had been the centre of the stunt. But of course the victim was one America's biggest names on radio and TV and I think "Our" reporter is a long way down the line.

In the end its one big commercial for the industry and back slapping amongst themselves and the public is kind of let in on the event as an after thought and slight acknowledgeent that without the money from those who go to cinema or buy DVD's and associated memorabilia there would be no point making movies in the first place.

I always thought Streep hadn't won any "Oscar" as they always seem to be saying she has missed out or has the most nominations each year without success but I am sure I have just heard that this was her third "Oscar" and she has had over a dozen nominations.

Pedantic I know but now it seems offence is taken if you use the term Actor and Actress and most seem to prefer the term actor whether you are male or female but in an awards ceremony they still like to have a seperate category for Actor/Actress. We know if an actor is male or female so to follow their original logic, you could have two awards and still say its best "Actor"

Why not just go back to using both terms, its so much easier.

7 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Yes, you're a killjoy :-)

...it was Sacha Baron Cohen a.k.a. Borat, Bruno etc. "It's what he does".

Re "How insightful are his interviews and questions? Not at all., well that is what we have everywhere in the media, dire word-smiths asking pathetic questions to 'slebs'...at least the Oscars are a big "do", trouble is there are a plethora of such events throughout the year for music, theatre, cinema etc and it just gets boring; what's worse, add to that the two-bit Z-list slebs form all the reality TV and you have a massive back-patting, self-congratulatory, ego-fest.

27 February 2012 at 07:02  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

When we first had satellite tv in the UK the company that failed and became merged with Sky(Sacha had a programme on one of their channels)some were carried on Sky until the BSB company was wound down and the programme came back on air too soon and you heard him telling the audience what to do and when to cheer etc...

If we had fewer awards ceromonies and they were spaced out better during the year perhaps the Oscars would be acceptable again.

After all the Americans do such events well.

27 February 2012 at 08:20  
Anonymous VQ said...

Well, the Americans haven't got a royal family so they make do with 'celebs'.
It seems to me that, these days, you only have to appear in a film for a couple of minutes and you're hailed as 'a star'.
I'm afraid I can't muster up the enthusiasm that seems to be expected.

27 February 2012 at 09:55  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I have similar problems with many people on television. Now whether the problem is there are too many media outlets to fill so the quality threshold has dropped or because there is more information readily available people are no longer seen as special I am unsure.

Hollywood always manipulated publicity and the gossip columnists had far too much power(Two in particular)Hedda Hopper(I forget the other one)but they seemed special.

Having said that I still think there was something special about many of the actors of the past James Stwart, James Cagney, Bette Davis, Edward G Robinson, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope as actors and all round entertainers.

Much of their work still stands up even years after it was produced and their passing.

In retrospect/hindsight some material would be seen as wrong but it was right for the time.

How many of today's so called right on performers will find their work being criticised in a similar fashion?

We do have good actors today but they don't readily come to mind.

27 February 2012 at 11:08  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

You know there are probably plenty of people in the states not interested in celebrity culture but with a population the size of the US even a small percentage seems large and is enough for the media to make a profit out of...

27 February 2012 at 18:49  
Blogger crl2amb said...

One big Yawnfest. I switch it off if it's on any programme or the news.

I find myself switching off most tv nowdays. It is hard to find something on my wavelength.

I don't think you are a kill joy Anthony - just a truthful kill joy. ;)

Carol

27 February 2012 at 18:58  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Carol, I suspect if I sat down and watched TV as I used to I probably would spend much of the time surfing the channels and not really watch a programme in its entirity.

I know there are good documentaries and dramas but you often have to commit to watch them over a few weeks.

And I don't mind some light entertainment but having broken the habit, I don't really miss it.

We're happy with our music and radio listening.

I know the films Hugo(?)and The Artist won some awards and Meryl Streep. That is where my knowledge ends.

That was picked up by accident.

I don't think any of us are stopping others from enjoying it.

I think that I remember the name of the other gossip columnist...Louella Parsons...how does your brain do that? Remember something suddenlty when you are doing something else and hours later?

27 February 2012 at 20:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home