My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Its Been Taken Out Of Our Hands...

Mum had a very, very bad night.

Just as i thought I may have to take Mum into hospital earlier than planned and try and chase things up...

Another Dr from the surgery made a house call...

It turns out that Mum is anaemic and the count is lower than when a transfusion would have been ordered if under care being at home and not in hospital they would not know that. 7.6 hemoglobin which is very low.

The Dr who called here tried to get Mum into hospital today but typically there were not any beds, so he contacted the medical day unit and the earliest they could offer for a transfusion was tomorrow or Friday.

Soon after the Dr had gone we received a phone call and she will have a transfusion at 9am tomorrow morning.

They think the transfusion will make her feel much more brighter and I assume that will improve the shortness of breath and confusion. Even weight loss.

The tumour is at the anal verge(rectum was mentioned orally when the Dr called various places)

I asked what were the probable reasons they would not go ahead with treatment/surgery. It depends on what else they find and if it has spread but they would probably still consider chemotherapy or radiotherapy to shrink the tumour we know of and tumours that we don't but surgery might be refused if they think Mum is frail.

And that for now is the one barrier that worries me the most because Mum says she will do all it takes to get better and that includes surgery and she knows its going to be tough. But if they judge her to be frail...

A kind person told me of her Mum and its virtually our situation and they thought she was too frail for surgery but she had two blood transfusions and something else done and the decision on the operation was delayed for...four months but they went ahead and all seems well. I know though that each consultant, hospital and case is different and they all have their own way of going on.

The first appointment with the oncologist is Friday around 10am so I am happy that Mum will have had the transfusion before then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home