My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

I Was Thinking Of Going Out...

but the weather ain't great and the same act will be appearing on my own town in approx 19 days in(surprise, surprise)another church. I can avoid a late night travelling on the bus home and they'll probably play the same selection of music. And next weekend is busy so I'll make this one a lighter relaxing time.

To be honest I am trying to understand the new cordless phones I now have and some of the features may not work(?)without another bit of kit. But as I don't get many calls or phone out I'll survive. I may've managed with a cheaper set up for all I know. I do however think I can still store my most used numbers and screen/block some.

And now I have them they'll last me for years I suspect. The initial cost is less than I would be paying for the service from the care company approx a third less. And within a couple of years the cost will be cancelled out. I would even prefer to be sure that the money I save keeps my internet going or the cost of the phone line. What I save can go towards other luxuries or bills and if income drops that could be very useful. I can store most used numbers and upto nine speed dial numbers. I will be lucky if I can find enough numbers to fill that. I would be lost without access to the internet and computers now.

The phones will mostly be used to block as many nuisance calls as possible. You know the ones...selling boilers, solar panels and the like. Or the others that don't leave any details. I received a funny one yesterday before buying the phones. The caller had my name and said you own a Hotpoint washer don't you(I do)without thinking I said "yes" and the line went dead. What was that all about?

Its annoying that I thought the purchasing of the laptop and tablet was reasonable. Even what my computer repairman charged for all that he did(and three visits)wasn't bad but its the extra bits I had to buy that made it costly. But being no computer expert I will always wonder if I needed all that I now have. But I have them now and they seem to be working(Much better than it was a few weeks ago)

I probably said what else I had to buy...
  1. A new keyboard and wireless mouse combo(the writing was off many of the keys)
  2. A wireless mouse for the laptop.
  3. A new router.
  4. Powerline adaptors.
  5. A new tower for putting all the plugs into.
  6. A case to put my tablet into.
  7. A new power unit for an old computer.
I found out what the power unit cost and if you take that out of the fee my repairman charged for his time and work, it was pretty decent what he charged me. I am fortunate that he lives only a few streets away too. I have one other item I have to pay for, the mains adaptor for my DAB radio failed showing bare wires and he's ordered one for me so that's an extra little cost but at least the radio will work again. That's come in at £7.99(I think)better than discarding the radio. 

I think I would like to buy a case(more like a wallet)to put my laptop in for extra protection even though it will only be used in my home. Also the main reasons for the tablet and laptop only being used indoors is to avoid signing up for another internet service which adds to the cost. Sometimes you just have to say no. My mobile is basic on a pay as you go plan. I still have around £7.50 credit(after putting £10 on it)around Christmas 2014.

The laptop is too big and a nuisance for taking on a bus etc..carrying around it may OK if I was staying in a hotel or on a long train journey that's when I might consider taking a tablet/laptop with me as many services and venues offer free wi-fi. Also you can charge devices for free.

If I stop going out socially or some of the other things I do come to an end, I may change my mind but a really cheap option of a mobile phone with a limit of 1gb(a really small amount)internet access still costs around £12 per month(that's £144 annually)

My current internet provider gives "unlimited" broadband(free)I pay for the line rental and that's around £185 annually. That's frightening but then when broken down that's only approx 50p per day. What else can you do for 50p? Not sure that would buy a packet of chewing gum.

My ISP(and even the repairman)tried to suggest I consider fibre but that adds another £108-£144 annually(it varies)depending on any offers at the time. Initially I can have it for free for a year but what happens after that? 

OK the phones I probably could've waited to buy or done without but I have them now. Two well know retailers selling them for £59.99(but both claim they are worth £69.99)I think buy whilst you can and whilst in a spending mood, why not?

I don't want to cry wolf over my computer issues because it looks as though I have got away with less damage than I may have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home