My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Lack Of Publicity Is Often Why...

an event is missed.

I spent a lot of my day surfing the net looking for a phone number to verify an event I wanted to attend was taking place.

Numbers were not on the internet. The couple I did have were not being answered.

I racked my brain to think of other organisations that may have a number or information on the event.

Eventually the source of much information in a community but under threat of closure came through...a library.

They gave me a phone number and looked on their system and said the concert was scheduled for tonight.

With little time to spare I hopped on a bus. It had been raining all day but I managed to hit a time where it had stopped. All the way to Durham I kept thinking should I stay on the bus or try and switch at some point so another bus would get me nearer to the venue and avoid a difficult walk.

That's what I did so a 35 minute journey became a 90 minute journey with an 8 minute wait between buses.

I had time and I decided to treat myself to a portion of chips before going into the concert and also thought whilst there I'd book for another concert on Friday. I am not going to very many theatre productions this year unless something is sneaked into the attractions at short notice. A lot of those announced are not of interest to me.

Many I am hoping to attend are likely to be amateur events and will be very inexpensive.

Tonight I was in a beautiful historic room in Durham town hall and a witnessed a Spring Prom performed by the Durham University Concert Orchestra.




I will get better images another time. And of the orchestra. I was too close to the front of the room and the lighting is too dim and getting a decent exposure tricky. Especially due to the lamps. The roof is interesting too.

Its a 60 piece orchestra. They were great. The programme was varied. We had Richards - Trailblaze, Whitacre - October, by chance on the day that producer George Martin passed away(associated with The Beatles)known affectionately as the Fifth Beatle, they played a suite of Beatles songs. The second half, Vaughan Williams - English Folk Song Suite, Elgar's Nimrod. Holst's Jupiter from The Planet Suite, Wood's - Fantasia on British Sea Songs.

When I came out it was cold, wet and miserable but I felt good having enjoyed the music. Now I know of the new place to catch buses I made it to a bus stop within a few minutes. Within 5 mins I was on one, back into the bus station and within 8 minutes on my way home and not waiting around in the bus station for up to an hour and I was home just after 10pm. It all went like clockwork. I will be watching out for another concert by this orchestra.

The Friday concert is based on American music including works by Copeland and Bernstein. You do miss having a car or being able to share events with a friend and sharing costs and yes a better bus service but it could be worse and it is doable. And I am making an effort.

Amazingly its almost 1am so I will go to bed and rest, listen to the radio, have a weak coffee and snuggle up to a hot water bottle.

I'm trying decaf coffee, someone who has had gout said that helped him. Its a bit more expensive I was paying 50p for 100g, this is around £1.29 for 100g but coffee lasts me ages. Will it help who knows? I have got rid of my gout at present so I cannot tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home