My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Don't Look On The Internet...

But we do. I saw Gilbert O' Sullivan in concert last night. Spur of the moment thing(some seats were still available)I'll make the money up(but after a few recent wins at bingo)I was at least not out of pocket(slightly better off to be honest)so I just transposed money from one pleasure to another. Sadly I missed two wins yesterday and did myself out of £10.

It meant the ticket only cost me £15(If I'd paid more attention and won that extra £10)it would've been like only spending £5.

So I took a seat on the end of an aisle in the Dress Circle. It meant I could stretch my legs. Also no one's head was in front of me as I could lean slightly and look down the aisle.

In the end people were up dancing downstairs and from past experiences that meant I would not be able to see what is happening on stage and if I stand I can't for long anyhow and being shorter in height doesn't help.

I could've sneaked photo's but expected I'd be stopped so I didn't try. He didn't mind and never said "Don't" there were no announcements before the concert either. Some were warned by usherettes but people were sensible when taking images and were not taking loads nor videos either. Generally they couldn't stop everyone. And few if any were using flash. I no longer do so I change the exposure.

My reference at the start of my post is because I obviously wondered how old he is and it turns out that he is 69 years old.

He had all the energy of someone younger. His voice sounded as I remember. It has to be said the audience responded most warmly to the songs we remember from our early days and when he was most popular. Sometimes we had feedback on the sound. For me and for the size of venue I often find they have too much bass and the vocalist gets drowned out, if we have to have the band as loud they need to amplify or tweak the voice so it carries over the music.

Its probably the one and only time I will see him. After 20 years he has a song on the BBC Radio 2 playlist which is typical O'Sullivan and it sounds good "No Way!" This Friday there is a special on Radio 2 between 8pm - 10pm. That will no doubt have perfect sound and he is backed by a 60 piece concert orchestra. I'm out but I'll try and record it. That will be available for approx a month on line and will probably get a repeat but this reference will soon be out of date.

We were told in the publicity blurb for the concert he was being backed by a ten piece band but it was eight if you include the two female backing singers. If you don't it was a six piece band.

He said that he lives in Jersey(Channel Islands)nice.

Am I glad that I decided to go? Of course I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home