My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, January 18, 2016

Dreams...

Coincidence? I slept well but know I had a variation of a theme that comes around every so often which was an unhappy time in my life. My first job approx thirty eight years ago and one I had to resign from to look after my Father when he became terminally ill and needed care.

I wasn't getting paid at the time, I took unpaid leave and to be honest the shop was not rushed off its feet with customers but they kept pestering for my return and adding to the stress.

The manager was not popular so it was not just my own problems. If anyone knows the TV series Are You Being Served? That was what it was like but not in a funny way.

Its a bit annoying that my mind occasionally returns to this period because I want to let it go and I don't think about it when I am awake. They probably never give me a thought so for me to waste time thinking of them means that in a roundabout way they are winning? Most of them will be dead or much older than me.

As for today there has been some sad news which you cannot change, life is what it is. A performer on the folk circuit, he ran clubs and managed to secure great acts to appear, he often looked after the sound at many clubs on the sound desk. Rightly, his illness was kept private. I only found out how serious it was last evening and this morning at 5am he passed away. We had been told it was a hip op...it may've been to start off with for all we know but it ended up being more serious. I am told today he was supposed to start more treatment. I have only known him for perhaps three years but many have known him for thirty years or more.

It puts everything into perspective.

I played bingo this afternoon(because my mobility was poor today)my leg was locking and hurting when I attempted to get it working again, I decided on a taxi there. I won three houses and as I managed to get a lift home I made a profit of 80p.

I came straight home and spent nothing(no shopping)so a cheap day.

I'll prepare a meal later. I'll dry some clothes and put them away too. A little light housework. Catch up on some radio listening and TV I have on here.

Compared to the previous talk about laptops it in a previous blog entry and it means spending another £50 but I believe that I have found one with better specifications and a reputation that appears to be superior.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was the jewellers, right? What job did you do after that, after your Dad passed? I hope you found a happier job to be in?

A-L

18 January 2016 at 20:00  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

That's the one. The actual day has been quite good to be honest. I feel quite positive too. Perhaps the fact both dreams came almost together means they be gone for quite some time.

Due to health issues and caring for others, I spent a lot of time in and out of work schemes run by the Government.

That includes placements often in Doctor's surgeries working with confidential information and voluntary work which back then was less likely to see you penalised if you did it. Today that would likely as not be the case.

Therefore the person willing to try and be a part of society(when the body is willing)has to think twice and some organisations or the community misses out on some people that could benefit others.

18 January 2016 at 20:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you've not had a job for decades? Wow.... I guess you can get out of the mindset of working...

I disagree about volunteering....I've volunteered and never been penalised, I've always informed the Powers That Be that I am volunteering and that it's all above board. :)

A-L

18 January 2016 at 23:22  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I have had jobs which were nearly all retail based, including a call centre arranging appointments for sales reps and sending information to prospective companies but around here, its always been mainly "Heavy" industry but when on a course, I was mainly in "office" work and I always upgraded my skills and obtained various qualifications if they are on offer.

19 January 2016 at 01:56  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

And of course being a carer is a 24/7 calling. You can't call it work because its done out of love but you are doing similar tasks to what would be done in a hospital or home.

19 January 2016 at 02:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you never want to go to University?

A-L

19 January 2016 at 07:55  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Politically/financially the nearest I got to Uni was a Technical college where I did OK. It was probably one of the first so called media courses, more like a pilot. It also therefore in hindsight was not financed that well unlike the courses of today.

I applied for the job at that jewelers and they gave me it practically on the spot. That was not long after leaving college.

Before them(and I was younger)I applied to work in a national retailer selling TV's and Hi-Fi's etc...and was told to reapply in the future when I was older but circumstances were different then.

Though there is always that saying about making your own fortune and taking chances.

I had a job after all. I remember sneaking off to a departmental store for a job interview in my lunch break once.

As for Uni my best friend was from an aspirational family and yet he went to the Technical college too so Uni did not seem to get talked about as it has been in the last 20 tears or so. And my feeling is that they could've supported him there if he'd wanted to go. In a way it was a bit of a surprise he was not pressurised to go.

That call centre was a strange place. After I left someone who was the right hand man of the boss and had been there years was let go of. And a salesman told me they were worried about their own future.

Perhaps it was having problems. My interview was given in a car whilst the boss drove somewhere.

19 January 2016 at 15:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strange indeed. :)

A-L

19 January 2016 at 15:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home