My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, November 16, 2015

I Seem To Have A Habit Of Attracting...

kind people. Especially in Durham city...

What does that say about the townsfolk? They could be residents, visitors/students. I don't know. Coming back to the bus station on Saturday night, a young lady(well much younger than me)walked me into the bus station, would not leave until I insisted I was OK and could manage and...gave me a warm pasty she had just purchased in a local bakers that was open late to serve all the extra people in the city for the Lumiere.

I haven't posted any images(I'll see what I can do)but my own are few and could be better. I did not see everything but there was a sequence of animated shapes on the roof, the full length inside Durham Cathedral, another on the outside of the cathedral, another being shined onto the side of the Castle from ages away.

A car that lit up if someone sat on a bike and peddled like mad. A kind of garden with lit flowers and lights hanging from the branches of trees, appropriately but by chance a red/white/blue of a bike(I assume with some connection to the Tour De France)coincidence after the tragic events in Paris over the weekend(terrorism where many were killed and injured)like many events and countries across the world was worked into the sequence the Durham Cathedral display, the colours of the French flag...

Another clever animation was projected onto the railway bridge which had a variety of people climbing up the bridge, hanging from the top of it and some climbing over the top.

As feared the weather did mean some displays around the river were cancelled on Sunday, others were said to be under threat. Unfortunate that the weather seemed reasonable before the event and it looks as though its going to be improve now that its over.

Another in the market place, I now know was meant to take off and float or fly but perhaps due to the weather of previous days(wet and windy)just stayed on the ground and did...nothing unless you include a subtle change of colour.

It would appear there were twenty nine pieces of art and I reckon I saw ten. Then again it could also depend how they are counted.

Update:Another horrible day of weather...if I thought the rain on Saturday was bad its much worse now. As I hope to be at the the theatre in Durham on Wednesday night, I do wonder if the river that runs through the city is still swollen or the levels have dropped. The theatre is not at river level with and I believe the bus station is far enough away from it and the route to the theatre is safe(ish)I'll find out soon enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home