My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Today Turned Out Busier And More Expensive Than Expected...

I went out for my little social club in the afternoon(usually only 10-15 of us)for tea, cake/scones and a game of bingo. The garden was out as it was raining. Perhaps tomorrow. I went out early and left plenty of time to catch the bus to the club but I was so slow...as it was raining I took my brolly. I took the sleeve off it and managed(somehow)to hold onto it and a walking stick at the same time.

I purchased milk and then went to the fabric store on town to see if there was anything suitable for patching the shiny navy blue sleeve that contains my folding chair.I found that it has holds in it and the chair is starting to poke through or it could if not repaired possibly slip out of the bottom of it. So I thought I can sew holes up but if I could patch it that would be even better. They had nothing suitable. 

At best I found two thickish denim coloured patches(polyester/cotton blend)that have to be ironed on but I don't think that the sleeve will like an iron as I believe it will melt. They are not very big each are 10cmx15cm. They cost me £1.55! So I will use PVC glue and hope that works instead, if it makes it stronger that will do for me. They are not waterproof. They may not even work. I think people bumping into me and not giving me room at the Durham Miners Gala was to blame. I've hardly used the chair.


I discovered the sleeve from my brolly had dropped out my pocket after my shop today. I nearly thought "Let it go" but then decided to retrace my steps. I did and it was waiting for me at the bottom of my drive. So I took my milk and bits of fabric into the house. I was too late for the buses and booked a taxi which added another £3 to the day and decided to give myself an extra half an hour at home which the taxi allowed me.

Someone at the club has now offered me a lift to and from the bingo every Monday so if I miss the bus I'm OK and I no longer have to share the cost to come home afterwards. However, I had another little shop coming home and spent too much(lucky that I can at present)essential stuff though.

More grass seed, strimmer cord(need spare in case I run out)and/or they take it off the shelf soon as we get nearer the end of Summer and garden products are removed. A laundry basket was a special buy at the discount supermarket Aldi's so that gives me something to carry my washing into the garden when hanging it on the washing line. I chose blue but the others looked good too and the price seemed good £2.79. Its big(40litres capacity)and strong unlike some others elsewhere.


Then on offer in Wilkinsons(reduced)I saved £11 and paid £13 for three different mixes of flower seed you just scatter on soil. Each bag does 6sq metres(whatever that is)or 30 containers. One mix is specially for attracting bees/butterflies. 

I'm now thinking a wild flower bed at the rear of the back garden. If I decide to open the border down the left I may make a flower bed between or next to shrubs and seeing that I seem to kill off plants in tubs I may scatter a mix in the tubs and they'll offer colour. Just have to remember to water/feed them. As I write I am debating whether to put some of the mix into the border at the front of the house. If not this year if I sow the seeds in the Autumn they will show from Spring.


I was struggling after buying all this unexpected stuff , a kind person saw me and carried my shopping and walked me to the taxi rank. It was worth the £3 paying for the taxi. It wiped out some of what I saved. Then again saving £11 paid for the taxi rides for the whole day otherwise I would've had this cost on top.

Its a dull day but its still 24c/78f in the bedroom. Typical Summer weather I guess. Going to take it easy now. If I do anything I'll just hang some clothes in the wardrobe, may do a wash and a small tidy but a leisurely pace. I just maybe I may do myself one if the ready meals I have in the fridge.

I managed to get all my lawns strimmed yesterday despite having to put weed killer on some weeds and having to continually replace the cord on the strimmer. That added too much time to the task. Just wondering how long it will take for the weeds to die off. I cannot see much difference after 24 hours. There is just a small area that needs strimming now.



The wind managed to slam a door before I could stop it happening and trapped the cable of the extension wheel between the bottom of the door and the floor, luckily it did not cut it and I did not lose a fair bit of the cable(I would still have enough)but its annoying. Remind me to be more careful. It has at best only made a little indentation in the cable covering.

I'll post about my visit to the Durham Miners Gala on Saturday and add images of the day soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that little blackbird in your second pic. :)

A-L

13 July 2015 at 21:46  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

:-) How observant am I? Also looking at the image having just said I have no idea when I can expect the shrub to flower, it looks as though its starting to.

I'll buy more bulbs later in the year for planting. Another reason for trying to control the dreaded ivy.

13 July 2015 at 23:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home